Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1993 12:15:00 -0500
> From:  [log in to unmask] (Tyler Greenberg)
>
>   I wish to pose a question from the nature vs. nuture category.  What
> causes such vast differences in ferret personalities?  I currently have two
> ferrets (Ayla and Gooby, ...Pebbles past away recently).  Their personalities
> are so different, it is amazing.  I can't figure out why Ayla has always been
> so "stand-offish" while Gooby is very affectionate and will follow me around

Well, in your letter, you guessed some of it... Breeding, just like
with cats and dogs can make a difference in base temperament. And
then, even so, there are differences for each animal, and differences
in enviroment, too.

I had 4 ferts, and each had it's own personality, two from Wendy
Winstead, 1 pet shop unknown, one from a home breeder. One of the ones
from Wendy was the sweetest ferret on earth, the other would nip in
stressful situations. Over the years, the nipping one mellowed out.

I've also got two kids, and I can verify that humans are also born
with their own individual base temperament, and that enviroment
afterwards still plays a major role in who they'll become. So, I'd
keep working with her, and go slow and gentle with her, and accept
that she's easily agitated, and that she needs different handling than
your other kit.

*Tigger*