Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 10:15:05 -0700
We still don't know what may be wrong with our ferret it possibly
Insulinoma (even though the last couple times we tested his glucose
it was normal), IBS/IBD, or Lymphoma.

The evening before taking him to the vet he looked so bad (tired,
very nauseous, and at times couldn't walk straight). I knew that one
treatment for all three of these issues was pred. He looked so bad that
evening I was afraid we would have to help him over the bridge I gave
him a .5ml (1mg/ml) of pred (the same dose another of our ferrets has
been receiving). He got one that night and first thing in the morning
(6 am).

When we got to the vets office he was looking a whole lot better and
wanted to explore everything.

He has lost a lot of weight in the last couple months almost a whole
pound (from 3 lbs 1 once to 2 lbs 2 ounces). Some of that is winter
weight loss (He lost a lot of weight last spring as well. Last year we
went from calling him our rolly polly to slim) So its hard to tell if
the weight loss means much. That is 33% of his weight and I understand
that winter weight can go up and down as much as 40 %) Still with the
possiblility of Lymphoma it is important. Also he has a really big
spleen which also goes along with Lymphoma.

Upon examination his lymphnodes were not enlarged (but since I had
given him pred that could mask this symptom) He had a check up two
months ago and the lymphondes were not enlarged then. He DID NOT like
having his temperature taken.

Current status. He is looking a lot better not 100% but at least 70%
better. He is eating and drinking. Playtime is still reserved but he
is moving around more like he use to.

The leading suspect is insulinoma but we have not ruled the other two
issues out. We are going to continue his pred twice a day and limit
what food he is getting. He is only going to get the two foods that he
has been getting for the last year and a half and no treats for the
next month or two and well see how he does. Of course if he starts to
look worse again we will be going back to the vet to see what else we
can do.

He doesn't seem to be interested in getting his pred (it beef flavored
too).. We have to give it to him by syring and he is pretty determined
that it doesn't pass his lips, he can be quite a wiggle worm. We will
work on giving it to him from a spoon like or other ferret takes it
but it will take work and patients.

Thank you to all who have offered advice and suggestions.

Have a nice day.

Mike