From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:16:00 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice. When the teacher first approached me, I thought it
was a fabulous idea. But now that I have had a few days to digest her
request, well.... So, I wanted to ask other shelter moms and dads out
there if they have had any experiences or any thoughts and reservations
about her request.

I do teaching seminars at various locations and love to go to local
schools and help children better understand how pets and wildlife
enrich our lives and how to properly care for them. I focus on ferrets
and the Black Footed Ferrets, of course. One of the teachers would like
to foster a pair of fuzzies and bring them to her classroom during the
day and take them home with her at night and on the weekends. As I
said, at first, fabulous idea I thought! .....but I am not so sure
now that I have had a few days to kick it around a bit. The legal
issues (being addressed here at the office) but what about viruses?--
especially, influenza?

I have spoken to the principal of the school and he is fine with it.
The teacher currently has a few other small animals in the classroom
now -- mice, guinea pigs, and hamsters. I have not yet discussed this
with the school board and perhaps that is the next contact.

But I am very concerned about the flu and other contagions that might
be transmitted to the ferrets by the children handling the ferrets.

What do you folks think?

Maren Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS
901.335.6536