Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 11:02:45 +1000
Mary McCarthy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Actually I think one or two ferrets would be relatively easy to take
>along. They might have to adapt a bit, like the rest of us in times
>like that. They might have to travel in a rucksack, and get exercise
>on a harness instead of living in a cosy cage with litter trays and
>indoor playtime. They would have to eat raw meat, whatever type
>available, they might even have to help catch their own supper, and
>hopefully some for us too. I think we might be surprised how adaptable
>they would be if it really was necessity.

I think you're on to something, there. A lot of us already feed raw for
preference, and ferrets were domesticated to be hunters in the first
place. If you have a giant surplus rabbit population (as we do here)
they could probably catch /you/ a serviceable dinner if you were able
to learn how to ferret. And if not, they certainly eat less than most
dogs anyway - if you'd risk taking a dog along, a ferret shouldn't be
so difficult.

Myself, I don't know that I could kill one of my babies, even in the
most dire of straits. I don't believe in god one whit, but I believe
in trying until the very end, at least. Maybe in the end, if they
actually /were/ starving, I could do it... but certainly not just for
the /possibility/. Not until I was utterly certain that they would
suffer and die if I didn't.

Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
http://hypercrescendo.net/foxlee/fls/
http://www.furbiddenrealms.com
http://blurty.com/users/leechimera/

"'Vague' and 'useless' are not mutually exclusive to 'accurate'."
"Ah, rather like a Microsoft tech support bulletin."
  - Robert Scott Clark and Hong Ooi, rec.games.frp.dnd