From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:13:31 -0400
It was wonderful to see something about black-footed ferrets on our
big screen TV, because we usually only get to see them on the little
Youtube screen on our computer. Still, it was only a few minutes.

Black-footed ferrets should have much more press! Why didn't Georgia
and Peanut make the major network news last summer? I remember seeing
evening news snippets about one of the pandas at the National Zoo
and that she MIGHT be pregnant. Well, here we have one of the most
endangered species on our own Continent, an amazing recovery program,
and a mommy ferret that gave birth from 10yr old frozen sperm and cared
for her baby live on a web cam. While the ferret-cam was very popular
with "ferret" people, barely anyone else I knew had any idea about
Georgia, Peanut, or the black-footed ferret story in general. Most
people I know still don't know the difference between and BFF and a
domestic ferret. What do pandas have that the BFFs don't? BFFs are
just as cute (cuter in my opinion), just as playful, and just as
interesting, plus they have great vocalizations. I love their feisty
attitude! I hope Tilly (the current ferret-cam star) gives birth and
gets more attention. It would be great if there were more cameras that
show what goes on outside the nest box, too, and maybe even audio. I
realize this costs money, but I'm just saying...it would be nice. It
would also be great to see more of what goes on at the site in Colorado
and a photo gallery of the adoptable BFFs on the Prairie Wildlife
website.

What I really want to see, though, is a great, full length documentary
on Animal Planet. PBS is wonderful, but more people watch Animal Planet
regularly. The humans who have been involved with BFF recovery are all
brilliant and likeable and people respond to cute critters with a great
story, especially if they know the names of specific ferrets. Look what
it did for the Meerkats. I bet donations would increase significantly
and there would be tons of people wanting to volunteer or help in some
way.

Ok...so,...thanks for listening. J

Ninjalilly