From:
Dale Marchand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:27:52 -0700
Please, please, please learn from my mistake. One of our precious
girls, Alice, got into our oven and electrocuted herself today. We'd
thought our ferret-proofing of the kitchen area was good. She had made
it into the oven drawer underneath the main oven before and after that
I checked behind and to the sides of the drawer and found no holes or
ways to get back behind cabinets or into other mischief. What I missed
was the gap between the inside of the exterior metal side of the oven
and the actual oven compartment. There is insulation that wraps the
oven and she found the gap, jumped up and climbed using the insulation
for footing. Once on the top of the oven compartment and under the
range burners, she crawled to a small opening in the rear where she
crossed two separate wire connectors between the range light and a
burner.

For those that allow ferrets in the kitchen, please make sure they
can't get any access to the oven, not even the drawer.

Dale Marchand