From:
Nancy Busso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:21:48 EST
Well I am a new subscriber and I thought that other than my intro info
I would probably never post anything, BUT I feel that I must. Although
I would never do it, I am not opposed to feeding pre-killed animals
to ferrets. My daughter has a ball python and I regularly purchase
pre-killed feeders from the Mouse Factory. I have never had any
problems with thawing the mice. I do feel sorry for the little things
but at least they were killed humanely. BUT I would NEVER feed anything
ALIVE to something EVER. Nor would I wander onto the open range and
start gnawing on a steer because I like steak. Any creature that is fed
ALIVE to another creature feels terror and pain. It is unneccessary. To
say that feeding live animals to other animals is a form of enrichment
is ridiculous. There are many ways to enrich a ferret's life without
making another creature suffer.

As far as kibble is concerned, there are some excellent choices now. I
never feed any that has corn or other cheap fillers in them. There are
some available that are 100% meat. Personally, because I care for so
many rescues who were used to different brands, I mix together ONLY
the top choices of kibble. I have seen many ferrets who were fed some
really terrible food, change into the most beautiful of ferrets with
fur so luxurious it is incredible. They don't need to eat live food to
be healthy and no animal needs to suffer so that they can have "fun".
Historically ferrets were supposedly the first "designer animals"
created by man, so to say that they need live food because they were
"wild" is untrue. They may never have been wild.

Nancy, stepping down from the podium with steam coming from her
ears....