From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 02:52:25 -0400
 debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>:
>Peronally, trying to find this information on line is next to nill.
>WOW, here's a great idea.....................How about pulishing AFA
>vaccination requirements for their shows on the AFA website????

Actually, Debi, the information is on the AFA website, and it is not
hard to find or understand. Look under the title "Vaccination
Protocols" at this link ;
American Ferret Association: AFA Ferret (M. putorius furo) Vaccination
Policy <http://www.ferret.org/read/vaccinations.html>

The page at this link has information about proper vaccination
protocols. And, while the AFA RECOMMENDS using a USDA licensed
vaccine labeled for use in ferrets, this page includes the following
information:

"GalaxyR D (Schering-Plough Animal Health, Omaha, Nebraska:
1-800-521-5767) is an available monovalent CDV vaccine, which many
veterinarians use in attempt to prevent CDV infection in ferrets.
However, GalaxyR D does not have a license or label for use in ferrets.
Consequently, the manufacturer does not guarantee their product when
ferrets are vaccinated with GalaxyR D. Injecting GalaxyR D off-label in
ferrets is at the administrator's own risk. Although Schering-Plough
has not published efficacy and safety studies of GalaxyR D in ferrets,
CDV vaccine research suggests that this product should stimulate
protective immunity and is unlikely to induce disease when administered
correctly."

In other words, the AFA recommends the use of Purevax, which is labeled
for use in ferrets, but also recognizes that some people prefer to use
Galaxy-D.

Each show can have varying requirements. Any AFA sanctioned show must
have the minimal requirements of AFA, which is proof of up to date
rabies vaccination, and a signed CDV waiver stating the ferret has been
vaccinated for CDV. Below is what is stated in the Buckeye Bash Show
Packet.

"ALL ferrets entered in the show hall, including those offered for
sale must be between 16 weeks and 6.5 years old. All ferrets entered
in and/or for sale at the show must have been vaccinated for Canine
Distemper and USDA approved Rabies between the dates of Aug. 24, 2008
and August 15, 2009. At this time the only USDA approved rabies
vaccination is IMRAB-3. ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF VACCINATION for rabies
vaccination is a veterinary certificate stating the name of the vaccine
or the manufacturer (listing FERRET RABIES only is NOT ACCEPTABLE).
Please provide your original documentation at check-in for entry into
the show hall. HOFA staff or a vet/vet tech will be checking the
vaccination records for each ferret entering the show hall. Proof of
Canine Distemper vaccination will not be required but you must sign a
Canine Distemper waiver stating your ferret is vaccinated for Canine
Distemper."

While it does not specifically state that Galaxy-D is allowed, it also
does not state it is not allowed. Proof of vaccination is not required,
just a signed waiver that the ferret is vaccinated. So, it stands to
reason that it is OK to use Galaxy-D. I don't understand what is so
complicated about this that you can't understand it.

In addition to the vaccination requirements, AFA sanctioned shows also
require proof of a negative ADV test less than 6 months old.

I am not on the AFA Board, so I can't speak to why they no longer
require proof of the CDV vaccination and accept a signed waiver, but
I suspect it has to do with the fact that there is credible medical
evidence that we are over vaccinating our ferrets by giving the CDV
vaccine on a yearly basis. The AFA has provided major funding for one
of the studies, and I suspect that they felt it hypocritical to demand
a yearly CDV vaccine when the study they were funding showed otherwise.

See, Debi, wasn't that simple?

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/