From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 01:22:21 -0400
The sort of thing that can apply to our ferrets and to us two-legs.

<http://www.sciencenews.org/index/generic/activity/view/id/42752/title/More_cracks_are_better_than_one>

Science News article title:
>MORE CRACKS ARE BETTER THAN ONE
>Small, extending tufts may give tooth enamel its strength

Part of which says:

>...teeth can withstand the force required to hold a 220-pound barbell
>steady. Now a team of materials scientists and anthropologists reports
>how the structure of tooth enamel gives teeth the strength to bear a
>lifetime of chewing...

Then it goes into how the many little cracks that the enamel gets
actually make the teeth STRONGER, including:

>Where enamel meets dentin, the material that makes up the bulk of the
>tooth, small cracks known as tufts develop in the enamel, pointing
>from the inside outward. When serious force is applied to the tooth,
>the length of several tufts may extend, the team now reports online
>April 13 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
>
>So rather than shattering in one long crack, a tooth distributes force
>among many small cracks. Tufts make a tooth tough by bearing the
>weight together, resulting in enamel that behaves more like concrete
>than glass, Lawn says.

Isn't that a cool surprise? The little cracks are GOOD and make for
stronger teeth! Of course, problems arise when/if little cracks become
big cracks...

I found some related (to varying degrees) abstracts for those who are
interested:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19329454

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19269906

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19268644