Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2009 17:08:11 +1000
From:
Justine Dodd <[log in to unmask]>
I have chatted with the people who make Revolution, and while it does
not state on the pack that it is safe for ferret use, it is. The reason
it does not state it on the pack that is because it costs so much for
them to register it in order to do so.

The approximated dose is: 1/3 of a CAT size vial each month per ferret.
The dosage is based on the average weight of a ferret being around 1
kg. One vial can be divided between 3 females or 2 males. I have been
using Revolution successfully for 5 years with many ferrets that own me
or are in my care. All have been free from fleas and ear mites, and I
have never noticed any negative effects after use.

I do tend to do them while they are out and about playing, mainly so
that they don't lie down and groom each other until the alcohol portion
of the treatment has evaporated.

In order to get it as close to the skin as possible I use a 1ml plastic
syringe (no needle of course), which fits perfectly into the top of the
vial as long as you
1) perforate by pushing the lid down,
2) Remove the lid and
3) VERY CAREFULLY and with sharp scissors cut the collar off the top of
the vial. As I put the syringe into the vial I first 'suck up' some of
the liquid, then it actually fits right to the bottom of the vial and
you can see that you withdraw .75 ml of liquid. Then it is far easier
to dispense the accurate amount to each ferret. The distraction method
works best for this - a little Nutrigel and voila: Protection from the
many little nasties that we can't see, but they certainly can feel ;-)

Not a vet, but I have picked the brains of many. Justine aka
Ferretgirrrl