From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:39:35 -0400
Vickie said:
>We've been allowing Galaxy D for the last several years. If those
>who keep saying otherwise would bother to read our show packets then
>they'd know.

Now I checked the show packet for this past Ferret Fandango (Which I
believe is a sanctioned show) for information about Canine Distamper
vaccines and records and this is what I found & no where does it
mention what brand of Canine distemper vaccine do they accept:

"We strongly recommend that you only bring ferrets that have been
vaccinated against canine distemper in the year prior to the show date
with an acceptable canine distemper vaccine. Due to recent shortages of
vaccines, and because there are occasionally medical circumstances that
could warrant not vaccinating against distemper, we will not refuse
entry to ferrets that do not show proof of distemper vaccination.
However, for your own ferrets' protection, please do not bring a ferret
that has not been adequately protected against this fatal disease in
ferrets."

And this is from the show packet for the 2009 Ferret Buckeye Bash:

"ACCETABLE PROOF OF VACCINATION for rabies vaccinations is a veterinary
certificate stating the name of the vaccintation or the manufacturer
(listing FERRET RABIES only is NOT ACCEPTABLE). Please provide your
original documentation at check-in for entry into the show hall. HOFA
staff or vet/vet tech will be checking the vaccination records for each
ferret entering the show hall."

Now this part of the same show registration for the 2009 Ferret Buckeye
Bash I also found found interesting about Canine Distemper
vaccinations:

"Proof of Canine Distemper vaccinations will not be required but you
must sign a Canine Distemper waiver stating your ferret is vaccinated
for Canine Distemper.

This I found on the "BOISE FERRET SHOW 2009" show packet, I do however
think they should update their allowed Canine Distemper vaccine as
Fervac D has been off the market for a few years. LOL:

"Canine Distemper: All ferrets entered in and/or for sale at the show
must have been vaccinated for Canine Distemper. Accepted vaccinations
will be Galaxy-D, Fervac-D and Purevax Ferret.

For exhibitors who vaccinate their own ferrets, they must provide the
label from the bottle for each ferret entering the show hall; For
veterinarian vaccinated ferrets, the vaccination record must state the
above listed approved vaccines, the date, and the serial number. (Be
sure your paperwork says the type of vaccine i.e. Merial Purvax.) Be
sure to talk with your vet about what you need!

Rabies: IMRAB-3 is the only acceptable Rabies vaccination for ferrets.
The veterinary certificate must state the name of the vaccine or the
manufacturer (listing ferret rabies only cannot be accepted). Please
provide your original documentation at check-in for entry into the
show hall."

And this is what I found from the 2008 AFA Winter Nationals show
packet, AGAIN not mentioning what Canine Distemper vaccine is allowed
nor does it actually say you need acceptable proof of Canine Distemper
vaccination:

"ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF VACCINATION: For rabies vaccination the veterinary
certificate must state the name of the vaccine or the manufacturer
(listing FERRET RABIES only is NOT ACCEPTABLE).

The American Ferret Association (AFA) recommends vaccinating ferrets
with USDA licensed vaccine products labeled for use in ferrets. Recent
changes in the availability of these products have caused shortages of
approved vaccines. Use of vaccines that do not include ferrets on the
manufacturer's label is an off-label usage; use these products only
after consulting with a ferret knowledgeable veterinarian and only in
circumstances when the risk of infection warrants the use of the
vaccine. Please provide your original documentation at check-in for
entry into the show hall.

This will be a NON-VETTED show, you are responsible for the health of
your ferret, so out of consideration for all other attendees and their
ferrets, PLEASE DO NOT BRING A SICK FERRET TO THE SHOW."

ONLY one show packet I found listed WHAT Canine Distemper vaccine
allowed & only one show packet states that you must show proof of
Canine Distemper vaccination records.

HMMMMMMMMM Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it. ALL the shows state that
they require proof of Rabies vaccinations & Proof that the ferret was
tested for ADV and that the ferret is negative, but only ONE said they
require proof of Canine Distemper vaccination, WHY is that? Seems kind
of stupid if you ask me as well as being irresponcible don't you
think??

[FY]