Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 18:03:44 -0600
I am a bit late in reading the FML. The missus forgot (...ahem) to pay
our cable bill, and whattaya know, if you don't pay the bill you get
shut off. Imagine that. Anyways :/

I just read Maren's post from a few days ago. It left me reeling. No
ferret lover (or animal lover of any kind) could possibly read her post
and not feel something. At first, I was in a state of bewilderment just
like Maren, but it quickly turned to anger and disgust. But what struck
me more, after reading further, is that is not that uncommon.

At first I was going to write a long dissertation about it, but I would
only be preaching to the choir. So I decided to write something to
anyone who has ever done this, or ever would do this. It would also
apply to dogfighting, cockfighting, or any other sort of animal cruelty
done for some human's entertainment. Any twit thinking of doing
anything like this for "entertainment" should read this first:
______

To those inclined to pit smaller/weaker animals against bigger/stronger
animals, just so you can watch the most savage act of nature acted out
in the comfort of your living room - I have something to say to you:

Buy a ticket to somewhere wild. When you get there, don't stay at a
nice hotel. Get off the plane and keep walking until you see no more
beings that look like yourself, preferably in the jungle somewhere.
You are now in the environment of that which you admire. Good. Now
strip off your clothes and shoes. Don't worry about getting scratched
up, or getting sores on your feet. Shoes, clothes - they are for wimps,
certainly not for those who enjoy the rawness of nature.

Keep walking until you are thirsty. Drink from the nearest stream or
body of water. Don't worry about microorganisms, or getting sick -
nothing small can hurt *you*. You are in the wild. There is no time for
this kind of worry in the wild, only the most primal instincts. That is
what you admire, right? Keep on walking until you are deep in the wild
and totally alone. This is the life, huh?

Walk a bit more, until you come across that which you most admire - a
predator of some kind. Lions, bears, wolves - it doesn't matter, does
it? That's what you came here for - to be with the strong and the
powerful. Are you hungry yet? Good. So are they. It will be such a
gallant struggle to see who comes out on top. Aren't you excited? They
can smell that you are. But not to worry. It will be a fair fight. You
will not be confined to a cage or an aquarium. Neither will they. Now
is your chance to witness nature firsthand, to be a part of it in all
it's glorious savagery. Only the strongest will survive...

Isn't this great? Aren't you liking this? Wait - why not? You're
helpless and afraid, you say? You want your shoes and clothes back, a
nice hot shower, and a comfortable bed, you say? Not *really* liking
the savagery of nature now, are you?

Think about that, you sorry b*stard, the next time you get the urge
to entertain yourself with another being's helplessness. Remember what
it felt like to be sore and tired, thirsty and hungry, helpless and
afraid. You are not so different from them when it comes to those
things. The only way that you *are* different is.. well, unspeakable
and incomprehensible. You have lost something along the way. And I am
miserably ashamed of you.

Roary
talk to me: http://twitter.com/hoomin/
writings: http://hoomin.blogspot.com/