From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 15:05:50 -0400
I forgot to include in my previous narrative this bit of information
and, after emailing a few folks about this rescue off the FML, I
decided to include the details just in case anyone else out there
should ever, God forbid!, have this situation come up where they had
to "do something" also.

The federal laws will not allow anyone to record telephone
conversations...however, you are allowed by law to tape record an
active-live conversation. No, you don't have to notify them either.
When I showed up at this creep's house, a tape recorder was going and I
had already recorded date, time, location, and nature of recording. So,
when the police arrived. I met them with the recording of this idiot
admitting to the ferrets, cats (kittens), and snakes. This idiot at
first denied everything but when the subject of money came up, the
truth came out - enough so that the one officer told this guy that I
had a tape recording of our conversation and, even though he did not
have authority to arrest him, he URGED him to sell me the kittens and
the ferrets and avoid possible criminal prosecution for animal cruelty
and abuse since I had him on the record as admitting he was going to
feed the ferrets to the snakes on Saturday (but he would not admit to
having an audience nor would admit to using the kittens as bait).

Both officers stayed with me to ensure the ferrets and kittens were
surrendered once the money arrived. Both officers also surveyed the
house and the snakes and were visibly appalled. I think that is the
real reason they too wanted the kittens and the ferrets out of there -
if this guy was not going to use the kittens and ferrets as bait for
his, ugh snakes, then what were they there for? It was more than
obvious to anyone that this guy was into snakes and clearly not a
"warm and fuzzy" pet owner. He had no provisions for the ferrets or
the kittens and kept the kittens in a small dog kennel and the ferrets
in a large aquarium - probably used for a snake before the ferrets
showed up. So, his story along with my recording proved this idiot was
not being truthful.

I have the officer's written report (this morning) and the recording
and have approached Judge Potter (also this morning) with all of this
and hope to not only work with state legislators but want this guy
prosecuted for something and the snakes, well.....destroyed or
relocated to a sanctuary for such creatures.

Maren Doshier