From:
Pat BAby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 09:39:45 -0600
A few months ago I posted about our little foster ferret "Boo". She is
suffering from a very severe form of PICA. (Eating inedible objects).
I mentioned in desperation we were trying her on Prozac to try and
relieve her symptoms. This is a very drastic measure, for a very
drastic case, not just your casual remote control eater. After about
two and a half months we were seeing no improvement, so we increased
her dosage. I am so happy to report that it has worked. She has stopped
eating everything and anything. Sure she still chews the odd ear or
tail of a stuffed toy, but that is normal behavior for a ferret. It
has not affected her personality other than to take away those frantic
moments she used to have. She is now a perfectly beautiful, healthy,
well mannered ferret (with an eating disorder).

I have even better news when I announce that Boo and her bestest
buddy Cookie are going to their forever home tomorrow, they have been
adopted, together. Their new Mom is a very experienced ferret person
with a history of dealing with ferrets with issues. Boo will probably
be on her medication for life, but maybe eventually we will try to wean
her off. Cookie came to us labeled as a severe biter. We figure from
her temperament and condition, she had just been locked up and ignored
and fed crappy food. She is now the happiest, athletic ferret around.
I couldn't be happier for these two little girls that were someones
discards. These two babies are definitely pure gold, and so happy to
have a second chance.

--
Pat BAby
Everything will be alright in the end!