From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 02:46:03 -0700
About twelve years ago or more we removed carpet and installed Formica
brand laminate floor through most of the ranch house we were in at the
time. Only bedrooms and an office were carpeted. The flooring extended
in a short entrance hall and a longer hall to the bedroom doors. This
stood up well through two Labrador retrievers, cats barfing, winter
mess, kitchen stuff, and then ferrets that came in to my life. But I
was new to them. They decided to go potty down at the end of the hall
and I didn't have great potties there, just cardboard and newspaper.
Sometimes of course it was next to the boxes. Much as I cleaned with
enzyme neutralizer the weazil piss eventually made the boards swell
some but worse was the laminated oak casing around the doors where the
moisture wicked up. That was made of hardboard, glued together sawdust
and it got pretty ugly. The floor fared better than some I put in
recently because the older style Formica brand was installed by gluing
the boards together with water resistant wood glue. The new ones I used
recently just slide together and had some trouble from moisture from
the rain pounding against the side of the house. I am thinking about
the Konnects for the ferret room. (over the porcelain tile, just to
protect it.)

Carol J. Owens
Ferret Friends, Inc.
Tucson AZ