From:
Dee gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 07:51:25 -0700
Omigosh, it's been a while since I've written about Diamond. In a
nutshell, she's thriving. I have her in an extended playpen in a spare
bedroom. I'm wary (aka overprotective) of her ability to navigate ramps
& shelves. She WAS sleeping in a 14x14 fabric-covered foam cube until
last Thursday.

Last Thursday I was taking a nap before going to work. I was disturbed
by a little cold ferret nose sniffing my ankles. I had put her away
before I laid down but obviously I did something wrong. I snagged her,
loved her up, put her back in the playpen, checked for any ways out but
everything was secure. Doggone, if a few minutes later, I could hear
her climbing up the bed. I waited for her & then got up & put her back
in the playpen again ....... and watched from the hallway. She watched
me watching her but her new-found achievement got the best of her.

This little 3-legged girl climbed up on top of her cube, which was also
probably 3 inches away from the side of the playpen. She then jumped,
caught the top bar with her left paw, bit the bar like she was testing
its support, and wiggled her way over the top. I was dumbfounded. Her
landing didn't bother her one bit. She landed, got herself balanced and
off she went, so proud of herself .... until she got scooped up again
by me.

I congratulated her as I put her back and informed her she just lost
her cube. She was going to have to settle for her sleep sack and
hanging tube. She was not a happy girl. She watched me take it away
and actually went into a little diva pout.

Diamond made her first public appearance at the MFF 7th Anniversary
Party in February wearing a collar with red heart-shaped jewels.

Her second big event was this past weekend at the West Michigan Pet
Expo. She was there both days, Saturday and Sunday. She tolerated being
put in her carrier and being pulled out although I was told at one
point, she spread her hind legs to catch something so whoever it was
getting her out, couldn't. She endured all the petting and holding with
much grace; and I think she may have learned how to sleep with her eyes
open. I have her picture with a Burnese Mountain Dog that was pulling a
cart .... The caption is "Diamond's Running With The Big Dogs".

The only noticeable residual from her ordeal is a 3-4 inch scar on the
back of her neck. Diamond has the run of the house when she's out &
about. Her favorite sleeping spot is in the sofa and since I can't get
my hand in to get her out, a squeaky toy gets an amazing reaction ...
she scrambles out in a flash.

NOW FOR THE OTHER THINGS ....

***I am honored and humbled by the Friends of Ferret Shelters to be
their chosen shelter for their April raffle. I had every intention of
having a raffle for Diamond after her surgery in November but was never
able to get one done. Susanne and Lisa doing this shelter for me is a
Godsend. If you haven't had a chance, please visit the website to take
a look, there's still time. Your support is greatly appreciated ...
more than you'll ever know. http://www.shelterfriends.blogspot.com/
Every raffle winner will receive a picture of Diamond with her favorite
guy, Dr. Mike.

***Friday, March 20 was an extremely frustrating day. I waiting for a
volunteer that was a "no-show". I received a call from "Chris" that he
had a ferret he wanted to surrender and we made an appointment for 1PM.
I waited. He was a "no-show".

I called.
He forgot.

We made an appointment for 4PM.
He was a "no-show".

I called.
He forgot.

I was wasting a day waiting for this guy. I finally told him I had
errands to run in his area & I would pick up this ferret. 8PM ...
Chris told me he couldn't get "Vixen" to eat, he'd had her for 2 weeks,
got her from his cousin and she was 20 months old. This was the most
emaciated, dehydrated ferret I've ever seen, nothing but skin and
bones. She lay limp in what I call a "guinea pig cage". I called my
friend, June, (June's a vet tech) to meet me at my house. We
immediately syringed turkey baby food and gave her 20 cc's of sub-q
fluids. She weighed in at 10.9 ounces!!! Chris had said he took her to
the emergency vet clinic, spent $275 and was told to give her molasses
and mushed food. Thank God, she made it through the nite and gained 3
ounces. I took care of her Friday & Saturday. June came for her Sunday
since I had to work. June also had the luxury of being able to take
Vixen with her to work so she could continue the feedings and sub-q.

Today, I'm relieved to say, we have another success story. Funny thing
is, June told me she'd take her but never made a reference as to when
she'd bring her back. Surprise, surprise, surprise ..... Vixen has a
new home. Another funny thing, her co-workers (at a cat clinic, mind
you) brought it to June's attention that Vixen has a penis. Chris said
Vixen was a "she". Vixen was in such bad condition, I never thought to
look because the priority was to keep her alive. Now that Vixen has
her/his strength back, June is noticing juvenile behavior so she's
thinking Vixen is 20 weeks and not 20 months. Vixen has an appointment
with a vet this week.

The count here today is 62.

***Upcoming events:
April 18 -- Michigan State University's Vetavisit. (Midwest Ferret
Fellowship)
May 2-3 -- Tulip Time Festival, Holland, MI (West Michigan Ferret
Connection)
June 14 -- Petapalooza, Holland MI (West Michigan Ferret Connection)
October 17 -- Midwest Ferret Fellowship Faire, Grand Rapids, MI

Dee Gage
West Michigan Ferret Connection