From:
Gerri Himberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:53:11 -0800
There seem to be a number of unanswered questions surrounding the
Colorado Box Ferrets. I'll go down the list, but first I want to say
that not all Colorado shelters were asked to help- at least three
offerred help, with no response- there was no money involved in the
offers, just help. So, for there to be claims of all Colorado shelters
being involoved in things needs to be regarded with some skepticism. I
am also having a problem trying hard not to judge this situation, as
Stephanie has been on this list multiple times begging for money, which
she was given. Again, the offer of help was extended (no money, just
help), from multiple states, and denied, but she did get the money she
wanted, I believe some from SOS, and now this..... so here are the
questions which no one seems to want to answer:
1. Where are Stephanie and her husband? Did they walk out on these
animals, or was there some issue which necessitated them leaving?
2. Were these animals always kept this way, and were these the only
ferrets found? She had many more a short time ago.
3. What happened to her other animals? Are they still on the property?
4. It was reported that the ferrets were without food and water. Why
did the volunteers not feed, water and clean them?
5. Has anyone accounted for the money that was given to her?
6. Why did she not ask for help in getting these ferrets out before it
got to this point- she and her husband had to know there was a serious
problem- why did they have to be "discovered"?
7. How many people knew she was in trouble?
8. If there were volunteers going in there, why were they not alerting
someone in the ferret community to the condition of Stephanie's state
of mind and the way the animals were being kept? It's one thing to have
a love for animals, it's another to be able to afford to operate a
shelter.
9. Why hasn't any information been forthcoming about this, except
"donating money" information- there was absolutely no reason for this
to have happened. I understand getting in over your head, I don't
understand putting animals you supposedly care about in a tortuous
situation. I have talked to several people who have the means and would
have taken them all if need be. She just needed to be willing to accept
help that wasn't financial.
10. Why is Stephanie taking no accountability for this?

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I am sick and tired of seeing
animals pay for human beings' egos. Things happen, accidents happen-
we can't control so much...one of the things we have control over is
leaving a bunch of innocent ferrets to fend for themselves in a cold
dark basement, with no food or water. That we have control over. It
was a choice.

~Gerri