From:
scott sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:56:30 -0700
Thanks to all who took the time to register their discontent with CA
over this vital issue. Goes to show what power we pet owners have!!!
Not that this won't come back in another from. stay vigilant folks!
It appears they listen (and hopefully learn). sometimes???!!!

Putorius

 From: Legalize Ferrets
 Subject: California Veterinary Sales Tax Defeated

From Our Friends at the California Veterinary Medical Association

Veterinary Services Sales Tax Victory!

Over three months ago, the CVMA launched a massive campaign to oppose
the Governor's proposed tax increase on veterinary services. Today,
we prevailed! The budget deal, approved by the Legislature, does not
include a tax on veterinary services.

On November 6, 2008, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger called for an
increase in the California state sales tax to address the multi-billion
dollar deficit in the budget and proposed a sales tax on all veterinary
services. This was part of a larger combination of program cuts and
revenue increases to balance the state budget. This proposal would
have added approximately 10% to the cost of veterinary care.

The CVMA mobilized our 6,000 members and they answered. Thousands of
letters were sent to legislators and the Governor's office by CVMA
members. In turn, they mobilized their clients and the opposition
grew. Our voices were so loud that a special extension was added to
the Governor's budget voicemail line to handle the opposition to the
veterinary tax.

We are grateful to our members, their clients, and friends in industry,
breeder groups and the animal welfare arena who assisted in this
effort. We also thank our state legislators who recognized that this
tax would ultimately harm the animals that we cherish and the safety
of our food supply.

While this is a great accomplishment, there is still work to do as
there may be budget revisions in the future. The CVMA will continue
to monitor the special tax commission appointed by the Governor to
restructure and modernize California's tax system and any proposals
that could affect the taxation of veterinary medicine in the future.

We are very pleased, however, that our voices have been heard and
veterinary services will not be taxed in the 2009-2010 budget!

http://www.cvma.net/doc.asp?ID=20443

Legalize Ferrets | PO Box 3395 | San Diego | CA | 92163