From:
Forgewizard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 02:47:29 -0500
Alex responded to:
>>Know your sources? Certainly! And realize that a scientific study
>>is NOT a representation of the real world!

With:
>Um...yeah, it is...in it's proper context of reproducable results.
>The scientific method does not *exist* outside of replicability.
>This means that any study whose results cannot be replicated, seen
>by others experimentally has no value, does not represent the "real
>world."

Alex, regarding the H5N1 virus (Asian Bird Flu) and the scientific
experiment being discussed; the likelihood of a natural ferret feeder
obtaining poultry infected with H5N1 is slim to none. If and when
flocks are discovered with the virus the birds are destroyed and
composted, thereby eradicating the virus. As long as people are not
feeding chickens straight off the poultry farm to their ferrets, but
instead are using inspected poultry sources, this scientific study
does NOT have bearing in the "real world".

Those scientists force fed the ferrets with a stomach tube. Its
difficult to ascertain from the way the article is written, but it
could also be read that the ferrets were ALSO inoculated with live
viruses as well as exposed to the virus via nasal/sinus exposure. Were
these all separate groups of infected/exposed ferrets? Each group
being infected by a different manner? Or did the group get exposed
in multiple ways? It is NOT clear from that paragraph.

Neither is it clear that the ferrets had a healthy immune system, or
whether they were already naturally fed ferrets, and as I noted did the
gastric tubes cause tearing of tissue to cause direct to blood transfer
of the virus?

Considering the acquisition of infected meat is not likely, and that
force feeding the ferrets with a gastric tube isn't likely done by
people who have ferrets as companions - then how is it this particular
study represents a real world problem?

How many instances have things been proved in a science lab, had papers
written and then in a mere few years it was found that the study was
not done correctly or the information was wrong or the findings were
completely slanted? Oh wait, you've already provided us with one
example. The drug industry provides us with more on regular basis,
as do cancer studies.

There are just way too many questions un answered and not enough
details offered from that "scientific study" to blast out an internet
warning that eating raw poultry can infect the ferret with Avian Flu
Virus in the "real World"!

Cheers,
Kim

P.s. glad you are still among the living. Was worried about being
contacted from beyond the grave.. That gives me the willies!