From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:14:58 -0500
There is a lot of info on this in the FML Archives (since it was kept
updated) and the FHL Archives.

Please, notice that although the symptoms are like FIP, this
coronavirus is FIP-LIKE but is NOT FIP, nor an FIP mutant. It has
been shown by genetic study at Michigan State to be a mutant of ECE.

Here is the abstract on that:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18424841
Note especially:
>Partial sequencing of the coronavirus spike gene obtained from
>frozen tissue indicates that the virus is related to ferret
>enteric coronavirus.

so it is officially being called "FIP-like ECE" and variations
thereupon in conversations with the investigating pathologists. They
also now sometimes call the two forms the "systemic form of ECE" and
the "enteric form of ECE" to denote which is meant. (Just had a phone
call with one of the primary researchers on a couple of topics
yesterday...)

Here are links for you, your group, and your newsletter, with these
going backwards in time so less is known the further back one goes
(with later ones more on cause and earlier ones more on symptoms):

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL7295
(investigating such illnesses is very expensive)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL7114
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL6566
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL5251
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL5244
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL4890
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL4648
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL4447
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL4284
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL3328
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL3320
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL3249
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2157
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2150
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL1841
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG662
and there are more, but these should cover most or all that you want
and you can search if you have further questions.

You may just copy any of the ones I wrote if they are unaltered or may
do short quotes and paraphrase with URLs given. It is legal to carry
abstracts and press releases. Please, honor the copyrights of others
and ask their permission to copy theirs, or paraphrase and give the
URLs, using only short quotes of their work. (It is a copyright
violation to carry someone else's full work without permission and
without giving correct source, including internet posts.)

A thought: has anyone tried Tamiflu for that particular variant? (It
was tried with apparent success on something else new which now does
not look to be a coronavirus.)

It is not known how long this version sheds, but so far ferrets do not
survive it, so it is safest to assume shedding for the remainder of
the life-span.

Regular ECE virus can shed for perhaps about 8 months (possibly
at least 6 months) after symptoms have ended, hence the long term
cautions for other ferrets.

ECE:
http://www.afip.org/consultation/vetpath/ferrets/ECE/ECE.html

Sukie (not a vet)