Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:41:19 -0500
>From: Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets as service animals
>
>HOw didi you get your ferret certified as a service animal? What
>services does he provide. Do you have problems taking your ferret
>out as a service animal. What criteria did you use picking out your
>ferret? Is your animal trained or did you select him based soley on
>temperment.

Hello, I have 4 Ferrets that are Certified Therapy Ferrets and it is
a lot of fun with them when we go out and about.

It is based on his/her temperament - they do not have to go thru the
training a dog has to go thru of course. I have the email of the person
that you can get in touch with if you want to get any of your ferrets
certified. [log in to unmask] and her name is Jan. She
is the head of PAWS. I am the first to have the ferrets with her group
and her group is now 15 years old.

I go into nursing homes and the ferrets of course give the loving,
hugs and fun to the elderly. With the kids at school or clubs it is
educational. With the elderly it is also educational as they too ask
questions at times. As for training - you of course, the owner, will
work with the ferret to make sure it's temperament is one that is very
sweet - but then you know that - LOL - Jan will send out the paperwork
to you if you decide you want to do this and it is $5 per ferret and
there are the other fees for you and the shirts that come with it that
you will wear when you go out with the ferret. The ferret will get a
name badge with it's pix on it. There are forms to fill out that the
vet also fills out that is a dog/cat form and where it talks about
things for the health that is mainly for the dog/cat that the ferret
does not have I put N/A - I have the vet fill out the rabies and
distemper shot record and the date it was checked out by the vet.
Those forms are also on the website. www.pawsforfriendshipinc.org
and of course here is my page on the website
www.pawsforfriendshipinc.org/Louisiana

It is very easy for the ferret to get certified! Much easier for the
ferret than a dog!! No training like classes you take the dog to.

Hope this helps and if you need/want to talk to me you can. Hopefully
you will want to do this and tell Jan I referred you!

Hugs, Nancy Sevier and her Fuzzie Friends in Louisiana