From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 12:36:13 -0400
From the inception of the shelter, we always boasted that we would take
in any ferret for any reason......we would never close our doors to
ferrets needing a place to go when their owners "dump" them for their
chosen reason out of a myriad of those out there... No Time? Didn't
think they would be this much trouble - but they were so cute? Leaving
for college? Getting married? Having a baby? Moving and cannot take
with them? And my personal favorite, the husband or wife says get rid
of them now!....

Now we can add one more to the long list of reasons......foreclosures.

I have never, ever seen anything like it ..... never. I thought it
was just me, how silly! I just talked to one of my friends who runs
a small cat rescue and she says not only are the big rescues and
municipal shelters overflowing but almost all of the in-home and small
rescues are closed to incoming - resulting in massive euthanasia rates
unseen in this area before now. I know I can always get the "scoop"
from Liz as she knows everyone and everything in rescue in this area.
She says everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, job loss and
foreclosures starting up again. And, oddly enough, the local news
broadcasts led with the new layoffs at FedEx and Northwest Airlines
and foreclosures in the Memphis-area were now at an all time high
with Memphis listed in the top 15 cities with the highest percentage.

Last weekend, I took in seven ferrets on Saturday, two on Sunday, and
one last night.? We expect a trio on Saturday and I have yet to answer
three calls for help on my email. Adding to the long list of ferrets
taken in since the beginning of the year. We are officially over
capacity. Way over capacity. And....there is one more ferret that I
am concerned about. Working with the via emails for about two months
now.....he is unsure if he can keep the ferret....

We have had our two busy adoption seasons and, overall, adoptions are
down big-time. The next adoption season for us, if it appears at all,
is early fall.

One little military fuzzie taken in last week, thankfully, is on his
way to a permanent foster home.

 ....And I know you shelter moms and dads are saying, "welcome to my
world." I cried myself to sleep last night knowing that I may have to
break my promise to always be open to new ferrets. I am not sure how
else to deal with the large numbers at my shelter and the possibility
of new incoming on top of that! We have the cages, the bedding, the
bottles, bowls, all of that. Ferrets are no longer just in the "ferret
room" but now occupy a portion of the tv/video room. But what I don't
have is the time....time.

Joe and I have planned for this and have virtually become debt-free
and owing nothing more than the mortgage and everyday bills that will
never go away - but no car loans, no credit cards, etc. For now, I
have a secure job and Joe has seniority where he works. Thankfully.

But, how do you not play with them every day? How do you not cuddle
them and kiss them every day? How do you just maintain cages, clean
litter boxes, do laundry, wash dishes and bottles, and address the
ones who need supportive care? Because there are so many now and not
enough time for each one.....when do I break my promise?

This is where I am now.....this is my crossroads.

It is through tears that I write....asking for advice. My heart is
breaking and I don't know what to do. How can I turn them away now
knowing they have no where else to go?

This is just one little shelter's story and there are hundreds of
similar stories like mine out there. I am also asking for help from
you ferret owners out there who have thought about the possibility of
fostering a ferret or two, or maybe you haven't considered it yet,
please make room for one more! Help the shelters out ..... take in a
foster to allow room for another ferret who needs a place to go when
there is nothing else out there. Save a life or two..... The need is
so great now. Help us help the ferrets.

My greatest fear is that we have not yet seen the worst .... not by a
long shot.

Maren Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS