Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:16:32 -0800
As some of you gentle readers know, I have been blessed with ferrets
who like to live a long time. 8-9-10 year old companions is not unusual
in my household.

What do I do that is different? I honestly do not know. I feed kibble
(TF, Mazuri, and Purina Kitten Chow mix), the kidlets have their own
room, ie: Never locked in a cage. They have a West facing window so get
a natural rhythm of light and dark. and their room is kept cool...55
to 65 F. [13 C to 18 C BIG]

So...what do I do that is different? 1st...all 4 legged, fuzzy
companions here **MUST** perform daily. That is, I teach them all
different behavioral modifications...begging, sticking their head up
through the hole in the top of the ferret boat and waving, standing up
and turning around, etc. I my thought on this is that it keeps their
minds active....Ferrets are very intelligent creatures and if that
intelligence is not used, they get bored and lethargic, physically.
(Sleep a lot, become slugs, etc.)

(Here comes the live food thing again.......)

And.....if my companions come into our house early enough, they get
live food.....that I allow them to kill. OK, OK, don't shoot the
messenger.....this too comes under my thinking that a ferret, whose
mind is always active, will lead a longer, more healthy life....which,
as a rule, mine do, if they are given the opportunity to exercise their
natural behavior. Ferrets are predators, they need the stalk, hunt, and
play, with their prey. So......I put lots of toys in the bath tub and
put a mouse in the tub and a ferret in the bathroom and close the door.
I come back 10 minutes or so after all the ruckus is over and find a
very contented ferret and no mouse. Gruesome? Not to me. But...again,
my fuzzy companion's minds are exercised when they pursuit the mouse..
their reward is dinner.

BTW..this does not make a mean or vicious ferret....that is so much
horse-hockey!

Not all of my ferrets do this..only the brats that came to live with
me as kits....adult ferrets have, as a rule, already imprinted and
will not eat live (Or killed, or any kind B.A.R.F.) foods.

**THAT** is the only thing different around this household. Does
this lead to a healthier, longer lived ferret companion? I think
so, but...there is absolutely no study or research to bear this
out. Just seems like common sense to me, so I do it.

I grew up on a horse ranch...the vets, then, always said that if
we, as animal caretakers, give our charges the most natural living
environment, we as caretakers will be vastly rewarded with their
companionship.

You know...I really DO think the vets knew what they were talking
about.

MC, The Rude One
Missing all his companions that have left his company.