Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:21:13 -0800
Proponents proclaiming the benefits of feeding kibble always speak of
the products as being backed by "studies" that prove the benefits and
the balanced nutrients within; yet the truth is the actual nutrient
requirements of ferrets is unknown! So how can these so-called studies
prove their claims? And exactly where have these studies taken place?
What constitutes a study?

Pg 55 of Ferret Husbandry , Medicine and Surgery by John Lewington
notes:
"Marshall Farms recognized that natural ingredient diets were more
palatable to ferrets than commercially prepared diets from the work of
Dr. Stillions who devised a natural ingredient diet: "Agway Marshals
Ferret diet" made at the time in 1980s."

In 1990 Marshalls Premium Ferret Diet was created based on a mink ranch
diet. Before their premium diet Marshalls was making a diet using dog
food cereal with beef tripe and lungs, obtained from a knackery. This
diet proved unsatisfactory and promoted parsitical infestations in the
ferrets.

So based on a ranch mink diet Marshalls created the diet we now see so
often fed to ferrets sold as pets, as well as those used in labs. Check
out that date again -- 1990!

Marshall's has been breeding ferrets since 1939 when they were used on
farms for rodent control and hunting rabbits! Marshalls began breeding
"later" for the laboratory and pet trade, but I can't find specifics
on when they went into large scale breeding.
http://www.marshallpet.com/marshall/images/mp_history_03.jpg
If you read the chapter on nutrition in ferret Husbandry, Medicine and
Surgery using Google [Link is OK now, but may expire. BIG]
<http://books.google.com/books?id=LdFjecaFqOkC&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=ferret+feeding+studies&source=web&ots=S3YYJvBLqp&sig=i5p-fNwkHhsebrLaHuiGv4Yh9wM&hl=en&ei=7yKISa66Bo3BtgfLo8GWBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result#PPA55,M1>

You'll see a considerable amount of information explaining the
differences in commercial ferret diets, even comparison charts. But
a LOT of information is given regarding feeding natural diets and
raw meats to the ferrets. This information comes from many different
countries, not just the U.S. and from many different sources. There is
considerable discussion regarding plant stuffs, the dangers of feeding
vegetation to ferrets and the types and quality of meat items typically
used in processed kibble diets.

In "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret" by James G. Fox there are
numerous comparison tables and the text repeatedly states that specific
studies to derive ferret nutrition needs have NOT been done, instead
the commercial diets are based upon extrapolated information from other
Carnivora ( mink, foxes, cats, dogs). The author mentions that, "The
efficacy of feeding cat chows to provide optimum nutrition in the
ferret has not been studied systematically."

Furthermore, it is stated,"Delineation of requirements for ferret
nutrition have not kept pace with its increasing numbers of scientific
applications." Meaning that for all the good we get from ferrets used
in scientific experiments -- we know very little of the animal's exact
nutrient requirements!

Looking at Hill's Science Diet: "Hill" name came from Burton Hill,
of Hill Packing co. established in 1931 and produced dog food; cat
food was developed in 1968, but these "new" foods were originally
prescription diets! And they don't make a ferret food! Iams: claims:"
We only conduct dog and cat studies that are the veterinary equivalent
of nutritional or medical studies acceptable on people, including:
urine, feces, blood and immune cell analysis, allergy tests, and skin
and muscle biopsies. Effective November 1, 2006, we conduct studies in
just three kinds of locations: pet owners' homes, our Pet Health &
Nutrition Center and locations where dogs and cats are already living
(e.g. assistance dog organizations, kennels, etc). We test our foods
with healthy pet cats or dogs in their homes or with pets who already
have specific diseases or conditions." They offer this information
regarding the carbs in their cat food:
http://www.iams.com/iams/pet-health/cat-foods.jsp
Dr.s Foster & Smith didn't get into ferret supplies until 2001, but
their products are widely used to feed a lot of ferrets.

I am awaiting answers from 8in1 and Evo regarding the year they began
manufacturing ferret food. Natura Pet (Innova Evo) has only been
incorporated since 1992.

Wysong has been cold processing their brands since 1979, but doesn't
say much about actual studies done.

Totally Ferret started in 1989.

Dr. Damon Shelton developed Ferret Chow for Purina, a lab diet still
used today (#5280): http://www.labdiet.com/5280.htm
While this diet has been used in Labs since 1983, it only reinforces
how little is known about nutritional needs of ferrets. Notice that the
main ingredient is Poultry By- product meal, and the next ingredient is
ground corn! Ingredients which informed ferret owners realize do NOT
offer proper nutrition!

How can all these manufacturers claim to produce a product that meets
standards for an animal that no real nutritional studies have been
done?

If you look at the time line offered by some major players in the game
of commercial ferret food, it becomes obvious that kibble diets are
indeed a new product! Not even having been in production for 30 years!

What in the world did ferrets eat before kibble was available?

Must have been the mice, rats and rabbits they caught for their owners!
The ones that didn't have to earn their keep got fed chicken, turkey, &
meat from horses, cows, pigs and sheep!

How is it that an animal domesticated for thousands of years has been
able to survive and continue to be developed all those years before
the advent of kibble? How can just a couple decades of feeding kibble
negate thousands of years of PROOF that feeding whole prey and raw
meaty bones is what is healthiest for the ferret to eat?

Cheers,
Kim

please visit:
for ferret help and info: