From:
Cassandra Wassenaar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 10:29:44 -0800
While I will not pick apart what you have said line by line, I know
that I in no way meant to sound superior in that I feed raw and whole
prey, I only meant to give my personal experiences and education on
the whole prey and raw diets.

Anyone who takes what we raw feeders say and "rush into" feeding their
pets raw is simply irresponsible. I know that before I decided to make
the switch I joined many raw feeding groups on yahoo, livejournal, and
did months of research. I made notes on what I had read, priced meat at
the grocery store, asked many many questions, read books, and printed
out many many pages on the nutritional needs of the pets I own and what
the different meats and prey I would be feeding have.

Almost everyone who takes the plunge into the raw world is terrified at
first because people lash out at us for choosing this diet. 2 of the 3
vets I work for encourage me, while the other one puts my diet choice
down every chance she gets. I in no way intend to put down people who
choose to feed kibble. I fed kibble for years. Why would I sneer at
something I found still had my pets healthy and I had no issues with?
The only pet I found unhealthy on kibble is my dog because he's
allergic to a lot of kibble ingredients and had chronic diarrhea on
kibble. The raw feeding has cleared it up.

Why would there be "scientific evidence" when the outcome would put
most kibble producing companies to shame? I for one, after finding out
what entails in these "feeding trials" and "scientific testing" am glad
there isn't any. Innocent animals suffer because they will be deprived
of one nutrient to see what the outcome is. Some will be fed a diet not
suitable for them in the least.

I hope that anyone who is intrigued by our discussions about raw
feeding does a lot of research before deciding if they want to do it or
not. It takes a lot of dedication, patience, and a lot of room in your
fridge and freezer! :) On average, I spend 40 minutes a day preparing
meals for the cats and ferrets, and 2 hours every 2 to 3 weeks dividing
up the dog's meat into freezer bags. It's time consuming but in my
opinion, very very worth it.

Cassandra, LVT