From:
Mary Segalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:09:55 EST
Regarding ZINC, my vet told me that zinc is toxic to ferrets, so I
find this a bit confusing. I decided to research zinc and ferrets and
won't even post here what I found, it was so horrid. But it involved
"experimental" ferrets being given zinc and dying a slow, painful
death.

Right now I am dealing with my older hospice ferret, Bianka and a very
raw, sore bottom. She is on high doses of pred (lymphoma), and has been
just a happy girl tootling around. But now her bottom is so sore at
times it just looks raw, and is quite painful. She can't seem to get
comfy. Things that did work successfully no longer work. I wanted to
use zinc oxide (desitin) very much, because I think it would work, but
the fact it is toxic, my vet said it was not an option. Please be very
careful and research before you use this product!

I also researched SILVER oxide, and found a couple creams that are
basically like colloidal silver with some bonding agents (aloe vera,
jojoba oil, etc). These are Tetrasil and Soothing Silver Gel. I tried
mixing my own until it arrives, but I ordered one of these products.
In the meantime I have some silver sulfadiazine, has anyone had any
experience with it? It was given to me at the hospital when I was
treated for 3rd degree burns to prevent infection and scarring, and
it worked great. Apparently the book, "What's Wrong With My Ferret?"
recommends using it.

To sum up, beware of Zinc!

And, if anyone has experienced a very raw bottom (she is quite fat and
has rolls "down there" so she stays messy and damp, have been washing
her but that keeps her damp - we are in a vicious circle) and knows of
something that might help, please send it along! Thanks-

Mary in Virginia and
Bianka the White, Benny, and Fox, Bear and Scarlet McKid
A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals. Proverbs  12:10