Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:57:11 -0700
First, let me express my thanks for all the FMLers that sent info on
ferret-theme jewelry and on Rhys's water bottle delima. I've got nearly
fifty emails in my inbox from those two inquiries, so please don't be
offended if I don't send you a personal thanks. The advice/info is
greatly appreciated! Here's to the helpful humans of the FML!

Rhys, well, Rhys is special. He understands when to play on the leash
and when to stay still and look pretty to other humans. I'm training
him (LOL) to be good on a leash to visit nursing homes in my local
area. I thought the Monday afternoon Yahtzee session, for which I have
an open invitation, at the ajoining apartment complex for retired
individuals would be a good training platform -- stay in my lap; don't
chase the dice; be cut. All these goals were reached with incredible
ease. Anybody else have a ferret who'll curl up in your lap in a
strange place for close on half-an-hour?

I was really having a bad run of luck with the dice. Ferrets tend to
be lucky, so I started letting Rhys stick his head in the Yahtzee cup
before each roll. On one of these occasions when I pulled him out of
the cup, he came away with one of those tiny cubes. I gaped in
astonishment for a moment, then got it away from him before he could
think to eat it or drop it; Rhys is so big that the "eat it" was a
serious concern. Would you believe that, on that turn, I rolled a
Yahtzee? Oh, wonderful, wonderful, lucky ferret!

The post about Sneaky Todd was priceless in humor and realism. First,
the name: how unique is that! The post struck a chord with me
personally, because that is the way I see the world all the time. I see
ferrets as tiny "blobs" and most everything else as larger "blobs". As
long as they are moving, my hearing or limited sight can locate them;
when they are still, I start crawling around the floor feeling for
ferrets. We've ferret-proofed our second bedroom for ferret-play, as I
don't want the experience of feeling for ferrets through an entire
house (Plus, that would make feeling for ferret poo much more trying.).
Poster board covers all the wiring for electronics in the room, taped
down on all edges. So far, the ferret-proofing has held (though I'm not
holding my breath). They enjoy lots of noisy toys, which makes it that
much easier to see/hear them at play. Sneaky Todd's pet human put my
daily experience into the written word much better than I could have.

With respect, Lori
Ferrets: Rhys and Frost
Cats: Reaganne and Little Miss

P.S.: Any book fans know where my ferrets's names came from?