Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:55:43 -0600
There were two ferrets in last week's episode of "Big Love" (HBO)
entitled "Come, Ye Saints." The ferrets were given quite a bit of
screen time, which is good, but it showed them being petted for quite
a long time and then, a few minutes later, they were referred to as
"rats" (personally, I love pet rats and I wish they had a better
reputation). I just worry that people will see an unrealistic portrayal
of ferrets as a lap pet and expect those behaviors if they adopt a
ferret. As near as I can tell, it takes a long time of training, trust
building, and ferrets getting on in years before they begin to be
anything like a lap pet. However, on the whole, it was a positive
portrayal and I am all in favor of good press. The show's producers
also could not resist using that chirping sound again, why do they
do that (insert exaggerated eye roll)?

Ellana