From:
Wendy Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:09:17 -0800
[Moderator's note: Yes, the food debate is over for now. While posts
attempting to convince others of the superiority of raw vs commercial
will no longer be accepted for a while, a couple of posts today fall
into a gray area. It's certainly fine to post sources of foods, or
new studies about food. It's just the "my way is better" posts we
can do without for now.  BIG]

I do worry about the quality of food that not only my ferrets are
eating, but also myself and my husband. We do not live on a farm,
but in Atlanta, GA, where we rent a condo.

Since we can't grow and eat our own food, I shop for locally
farmed/organic when possible (love the dekalb farmers market!!!)......
And we don't have the time nor the green thumbs to do that....

My question is, does any one have a good recipe for making a tasty
alternative to kibble (other then live prey, as I could will not do
live feeding due to the fact that I still can not watch the scene where
Bambi's Mom get's offed)??? Or a good homemade treat alternative???
I would love to make and freeze some ferrty goodness treats for my
babies. (btw Florence Love!! I have been meaning to contact you to buy
some "love gravy"....) Some of my babies will eat cooked turkey, but
not all.... They all seem to like the marshalls bacon treat (I know....
not only icky for them, but I'm not wanting to support marshall
farms....)

About Salmonella.... I thought there were some confirmed illnesses or
deaths due to salmonella poisoning in ferrets. I know that animals
other than humans (our cat's and dog's) can have food that might make
humans sick.... but my personal feeling is that ferrets have been
domestic for soooo long......... that if they aren't taking to live
feedings/raw foods/ and the owner isn't comfortable with feeding
live..... and if a good kibble alternative used....... Yicks! I'm
grateful when anyone posts regarding a possible food recall, whether
it could effect natural feeders or kibble feeders, THANK GOD IT'S
POSTED!!!

signed,
Wendy (hoping that Alex will continue to write from the great beyond!)