Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:54:47 EST
Some months ago, I took in two VERY sick ferrets that were turned into
a pet store. I actually paid for two old ill ferrets.

One died about 3 weeks later despite the best of care and more money.
The other was in bad shape for several months. His name is Bongo. He
is insulinomic and adrenal. His fur has grown back with the Lupron,
and he is on pred. But he does not know how to play, or like to be
held or touched. He does not want other ferrets around him. He did
love his cage mate.

In the morning, I wake up early to turn the heat on, and pick up the
sleepy sack he is in, and crawl back into bed for another 30 minutes
or so with Bongo near me in the sack.

I have let him sniff my hand. I offer him treats that he takes. I give
him his soup...which he just loves. And I try to put my hand in the
sleep sack each morning to pet him.

And each morning, he does the SAME thing.

My fingers are just so much garbage to him. He takes my finger between
his teeth and escorts it to the entrance of the sack. He basically
kicks me out.

This morning I tried 3 times to get him to allow me to gently pet him.
Each time he grabbed my finger and led my hand firmly to the entrance.
Get out. Get OUT. GET OUT!

I realize he was probably never held, or kissed, or loved or played
with. I think he may die unable to accept or understand affection.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get him to warm up, please let me
know. It has been months now. I think he sees playing as a threat to
him. And he is old. He cannot run or hop or dance. He does love to
rub his body on the rugs and blankets and eat his soup.