From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 01:30:06 -0500
Continuing the discussion on sufficient taurine in diet for ferret
health... (but I think I forgot to send this one with all that has
been going on)

BTW, "poultry byproduct meal" is basically things like organs, hearts
and such. There are some incorrect sites which claim that a pile of
things that are *not* in such meal are in it (according to past posts
on the FML that i recall from someone with a doctorate in veterinary
nutrition, but i lack time to look those up). So, think of it like
feeding giblet type offal such as hearts. Oh, and some of the
manufacturers go a step further and use human food grade quality.

>Yes, rabbit and lamb are both low in taurine. Fish, oysters, clams,
>and poultry (esp. poultry by product meal) are high in taurine.
>Poultry would include chicken and turkey. Sorry I do not know if
>kangaroo is high or low in taurine.
>Jerry Murray, DVM

Carried with author's standing permission to me
Sukie (not a vet) (FHL co-moderator)

Recommended ferret health links: