From:
Louise Ohman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:08:15 -0500
>From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Deafness Confirmed . . . Are you sure?
>
>1.) How do or did you know the ferret(s) was really deaf?
>
>2.) Please tell us what about the behavior of the ferret indicated
>that he was deaf?
>
>3.) What can we do to confirm deafness and be certain that everything
>else is ruled out?
>
>6.) I would appreciate your telling us just how the trashing of food
>is related to deafness. I don't understand the connection.
>
>6.) How does a vet confirm deafness in ferrets - anybody know?

Edward Lipinski...you make me laugh every day...I don't take anything
you say very seriously. For what it is worth, I can answer some of you
questions:

1 and 2: When I got my DEW, I had no idea about the genetic disposition
for deafness in these ferrets. Being a marked white, Sidnee had the
white spot on her tail and the white spot on the underside of the tail,
after doing research, I learned those were the genetic markers for
deafness. Before I learned that, I noticed that she would not come
running to squeaky toys or react to any noise around her. She always
keeps her head facing toward the area where any activity might be going
on....for example, she backs into her tube if I surprise her, she
always sleeps with her head hanging out and she always wants to be
facing forward if I am carrying her around, I figure this is so she
can see what is coming at her.

3. I "tested" her by holding her in front of me and squeeking a
toy...no response. I also slapped my hand on the floor next to her...
no response, no jumping.

6. I don't think trashing the food bowl is a genetic disposition of
deaf ferrets, Sidnee just likes to hide her food, but I think this
comes from being the smallest ferret in the cage at the store and
having to fight for her food.

6. (Yeah, you misnumbered!) I think you need to look at the behavior
of the ferret and their response, or lack of response to noises around
them. Deaf ferrets actually do act different, but it is hard to
explain.

Thanks for the laughs, Edward.

Louise