From:
Warm Fuzzies Ferret Rescue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:28:48 -0800
Edward Lipinski, you are not from the states are you? Are you European
born? Australian born? Please let us all know, if you care to!

As I checked with friends in England, Sweden, Germany and Ireland that
say, that the solution that Ed brought forth, are yes indeed used by
some people who want to make their ferrets stop biting and it works.

To all of us, Americans, who are not from these other countries; we do
things much differently than the rest of the world's population, when
it comes to Ferrets.

We feed dry kibble, for one. Most other countries in Europe, let's say
feed a raw, whole prey diet. The ferrets do not eat everyday. Ferrets
might even have to work for a living hunting rabbit or running line in
some of these countries. Ferrets go outside in Europe, they have whole
outside runs in some places in Europe and they don't get out. People in
the states want to make inside habitats for them, tubes and jungles if
you will in special rooms for our ferrets.

We are talking huge robust, large, firm ferrets, that probably are no
more than 2-4 generations from say a Russian or European Polecat, by
birth.

I met a girl last summer who re-located to England to go to school.
When I saw pictures of her Ferrets, mine and every other ferret in my
rescue, save for Andy (a McKay ferret) was put to shame. They were
huge, her littlest one weighed in at 3.5 pounds (female, spayed not
a Marshall's ferret). Her hob was just over 6 pounds and had 3rd
generation German ferret blood, mixed with a 2nd generation Russian
polecat. This boy was huge and healthy. She "staked" her ferrets
outside all the time. That is she would put a harness on them, and a
tether and let them spend the summer days outside digging in the dirt.
Sounds like a wonderful place for them to be. Dirty and having fun,
just like a ferret would like to do! Just like you might stake out (tie
out) a dog for the day, it's no different in concept, just different in
idea.

Please remember that up until 40 years ago, we did not feed dry kibble
either. It was whole prey or raw at least and to make it easier on
ourselves as fast paced humans we required that people make a product
that we could store without refrigeration and that we could feed
conveniently thus came dry kibble for our dogs and cat's first, then
ferrets and rabbits and so one .

Please, understand, I do not think one idea is better than another,
they are just different and that's all it is, difference of opinions.
One thing I have learned in life is that in order to have friends, you
have to at least respect, NOT AGREE WITH, the other person's opinions.
If everyone was like me, well, the world only needs one MIchelle. How
utterly boring, sad and selfish that would be, to have everyone be the
same.

I really liked the FML until recently, as a new member; the perceived
hatred that spews from your fingers for anyone that has a difference
of opinion than yours and is inevitably going to be lambasted by most
everyone, scares me to no end.

Michelle DeVos
Warm Fuzzies Ferret Rescue