From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:36:22 -0500
No. 421 had just sat down in his chair at the Bridge to watch Oliver
trying to ski on a cloud. Little Oliver had fallen over a bump in the
cloud for the second time, and was just about to give it up when there
was a rush of wings and an angel dropped down beside him.

"Oliver" she said in a soft voice. "You need to report to the Receiving
Anger right away. Tell No. 421 we have work to do."

"Must be someone special for the Receiving Angel to send his own
currier," Oliver said. "No. 421, I'se be back in a bit, I has to go to
the Receiving Angel and get our next assignment." And, slipping out of
his ski boots, he ran all the way to the gate. The Receiving Angel was
sitting in his chair with a big book on his lap.

"Oliver," he said. "I have a very special request for you today. We
have a little girl named Mitzie and she is crossing today. She needs to
be reunited with her brothers and sisters that are at the Heaven Scent
mound. Tell them to send someone to the Rainbow Bridge to wait for
Mitzie. Be very careful, she was a feisty biter, and she may need time
to get adjusted to life here at the Bridge. Also, tell the angel at the
wing house we need a pair of crimson wings, size small."

Oliver hurried back to No. 421 and gave him the ticket. Then he hurried
down to the Wing House and told the angel in charge he needed to have a
pair of small crimson wings ready for a new arrival.

No. 421 was just nodding off for a nap when the bridge began to creak
and a little girl ferret started to cross. She looked very small and
No. 421 stepped up to the edge of the bridge and offered her his paw.

"What is your name," No. 421 said. "Maybe you're the little girl I'm
suppose to greet?

"H-h-hello," she said. "My name is Mitzie, and I'm lost. I went to
sleep in my home and now I'm here. Mister, can you help me find my
way back?"

"Mitzie, once you come to the Rainbow Bridge, you can never go back
again," No. 421 said. "We can send word back to your friends and your
hooman mama, but you cannot go back yourself."

Mitzie thought about that for a minute. Then she said she wanted to
send kisses to her friends Sugah and Mandy, and her momma Sandi at
Heaven Scent.

Oliver came running back to the Bridge. "Hi" he said. "I'm Oliver, No.
421's currier and I'se just been to the Wing Shack and picked out a
beautiful pair of crimson wings for you. They will go very nice with
your hair color."

No. 421 called the Shooting Star to come and take Mitzie's message to
her friends. Mitzie whispered something to the little star and she
bobbed her points and zipped away.

Taking Mitzie by the paw, No 421 took her down to the wing shack to get
her wings. The angel on duty had picked out a beautiful pair, and they
fit perfectly. They were bright red, and shone in the evening light.

Oliver came running up to the Wing Shack with the leader of the Heaven
Scent crew. "Hi" he said. "You must be Mitzie. Come on down to the
Mound, all the other kids from Sandi's Shelter are there and they have
a lot of questions to ask you about what is going on down at our old
home."

Mitzie turned to No. 421 and smiled at him. "Thank you she said, I'll
be alright now. I has friends here that I forgot about." She turned
around and almost tripped over her wing.

No. 421 caught her before she fell. "Those wings take some getting used
to," he said. "Your shelter mates will help you get adjusted. When you
get a moment, come by the Bridge and say Hello."

Mitzie promised she would, and taking the older ferrets paw she walked
down to the Field of Mounds with him.

The Shooting Star asked directions to Sandi's house from the Receiving
Angel, and No. 421 decided to call it a night.

As the sun set on another day at the bridge, he wrote in his log book,
Mission completed, wings are a good fit, message sent home, and family
reunited. He blew out the candle and settled down in his hammy for the
night.