Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:59:04 -0800
From:
Civilized conversations are a great way to exchange ideas. Most
discussions among people began with folks having either similar or
disparate views. Humans have the gift of gab and should be able to
express their views without needing a referee. Its not uncommon for
people to keep discussing subjects that have been discussed before. It
isn't as if -- oh -- this has been discussed already -- no need to talk
about it anymore. If that were the case there'd be zero improvements
and no advancement of society!

It is entirely possible for a discussion to take place among
individuals who have different viewpoints without it degrading into a
free for all! When direct questions are asked, direct answers should be
given. The discussion shouldn't come to an abrupt halt, or be diverted.
Kibble Vs Natural will be a debate ongoing as long as kibble remains a
large part of ferret care and as long as people keep questioning why
obligate carnivores are being forced to eat food stuff they cannot
digest. Some ferret owners will never question why feed kibble, but
many have and many more will. Practically every kibble mfr will have
upon its label a statement to the effect that ferrets are carnivores
and need a diet high in meat. Then their ingredients go on to list all
manner of plant items with yet another statement of how these plants
supposedly benefit the ferret ( even though the ferret's system cannot
digest them).

Technically the debate whether to feed kibble or progress to a natural
diet resides within the individual -- not among hot headed posts on
forums. But for those folks curious about switching when they seek
questions they should be able to find factual, truthful experiences and
results from people who have already made the switch -- not be
reluctant to even ask because they get shot down for even considering,
and certainly shouldn't be discouraged by repeating myths and
misconceptions.

The American Ferret Association has taken a great step forward in
their presentation of feeding ferrets and I believe that operators of
sanctuaries, rescues, adoption centers, pet stores and ferret owners
themselves would do well to review what's been written, as well as
present such an open minded view of feeding ferrets. People who feed
naturally see so many improvements in their ferrets that they want to
share with the rest of the world. They have nothing personal to gain
from revealing their experiences, except to encourage and help other
people offer their ferrets improved health too. Many natural feeders
have already progressed through the various stages of so called
"improved", "quality", kibble and thought their ferrets were exhibiting
fine health. But making that step into a natural diet proved that the
kibble diet just was NOT offering optimal health. It isn't an easy
thing to do -- swim against the mainstream to step outside the
boundaries, think outside the box. But for those adventurous enough to
do so, the rewards are stunning! Switching ferrets from kibble to a
natural diet is NOT as difficult as you'd think. Natural feeding is
MORE economical than purchasing kibble. It offers more variety to the
ferret, and offers the ferret owner more direct control over what goes
into the maw of the ferret! ferrets fed a variety of forms and types
of natural foods can be cared for by outside family memebers without
the "ewww,Gross!" factor.

There are several places on the internet one can explore to review
other's experiences with feeding natural diets. Many are of course
related to feeding other pets, some are ferret specific places. These
are great places to start:
www.rawmeatybones.com ,
www.naturalferrets.com ,
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/ferretcare/i/naturaldiets_2.htm
http://holisticferret.proboards80.com

I've had 8 ferrets switch from kibble to natural foods, some were as
fast as their first bite, others took a few months to finally ignore
kibble. Their ages ran from 5 weeks old to 5 years old when started on
the new diet. I use a variety of raw meaty bones from various sources:
chicken, fish, rabbit, Cornish Hen, Turkey, veal, beef; raw and cooked
egg,; a variety of whole prey /live prey from various sources : mice,
rats, guinea pigs, chicks, fish, invertebrates & insects. I feed a
variety of forms of food from raw to live to whole to dehydrated, to
freeze dried to ground. I personally do NOT purchase pre-packaged
frozen whole prey but instead raise my own mice. This does stem from
an experience of feeding a poorly stored frozen mouse and when I was
feeding them, I'd become accustomed to the smell of the packaged mice.
The times I've frozen my own mice, they do NOT smell when thawed -- so
I know the purchased mice had NOT been handled properly. Other people
feeding purchased prepackaged frozen prey have not reported such an
experience.

I live in an apartment and have devised a system to raise mice to feed
my crew of 6 ferrets at least one to two mice per day. My mice are
clean, handled, do not smell, get fed natural whole foods (seeds,
vegetables, fruits, meats and bones because mice are omnivores) and
even live prey themselves (super worms and crickets and an occasional
earthworm). My ferrets are also allowed free roam through the house
24/7 as well as taken on outdoor excursions regularly. I start my
ferrets on their new diet by offering them basically a smorgasbord of
items. Sometimes ala carte, sometimes mixed into their kibble. Each
ferret picks their own method to venture into the natural flavors. I
never force feed the ferret, but I do only offer kibbles that have been
mixed with meat so that they are introduced to the smell and flavors
and eventually the texture. Live prey is offered in increments also
starting with the very young in order to develop the predator within.
I make certain not to over match the ferret with intended prey so that
each successful kill bolster's the ferret's confidence and allows them
to hone their skills.

While some of my ferrets would likely eat some kibble if offered, the
majority of them will refuse. Kibble causes ferrets to become addicted,
literally and if offered that addictive substance, some cannot resist,
so it is up to me to keep them from that foreign substance. The
improved vigor and bloom of my ferrets says that the natural diet is
the proper move to make to offer them optimal nutrition! When others
venture into this, they too will be convinced; and the myths and
misconceptions constantly touted will be laughed at or at least frowned
upon. They'll be happy to talk to other people about their experiences
and happy that more ferrets are bound for better health!

Cheers,
Kim

please visit : for ferret help and info:
http://holisticferret.proboards80.com/index.cgi
http://ferretopia.proboards51.com/index.cgi
yahoo groups Natural Ferrets

for fun: www.vanityferret.com (password required: "FerretsRfun")