Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:50:43 -0800
From:
>From:    Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Starting an organization that can certify ferrets as service
>animals
> I recently wrote an article on ferrets as service animals.
>
>I can get a not for profit corp. Getting the fedral 501(3)(c) will
>tak longer. A board of directors. I may be able to get them from a
>local organization that matches volunteers to organizations.
> I'd like ideas and help. I estimate 2 years to get everything
>in place.

Edward Lipinski here Kathy Galligher . . . not to pour cold water on
your intended project, but you must absolutely consider this, or you
could wind up in court and pennyless.

I strongly recommend you set aside at least $1,000 premium payment
every year for liability insurance. In the event, at a public site,
a bite or even a scratch, when it leads to an infection of a person
who is in any way disabled, and seen by a judge as not fully able to
defend himself, you will need the services of a competent attorney.

You are at considerable risk here, as is any ferret shelter operator,
not only for doctor's fees and possible hospital costs, but for
lifetime support payments from you for the person whose livelihood
is lessened, either health wise or negatively impacted financially.

Please get counsel, so you are protected for any eventuality.

Costs to me, when running a ferret show, ferret frolics/olympics,
or  even such a benign activity as a ferret owner's picnic, where
the public has unlimited access, like a public park, my insurance
premium is $500.00 for just one day.  And to top it off, the
insurance does not protect me, but protects the state's park
department in case of a law suit against the state.

Sei vorsichtig Maedchen.  (German: Be careful girl.)
Edward Lipinski