Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:45:16 -0800
From:
[Forwarded to Lacey when received. Her response follows. BIG]

Ferrets in Large Numbers.  Ferret Shelter Hyperpopulation

>Lacey says she has between 100 and 150 ferrets at the shelter at any
>one time. We really cannot afford to lose any shelter right now,
>especially one that has such a high ferret count.

Dear Lacey, et al,

Maintaining a colony of ferrets numbering 100 to 175 (only 150 quoted
here) has to be a tremendous lot of work and is very costly.

My concern is that the ferrets in this shelter are not being adopted
into good homes in a timely manner. Hence the unusually high number of
ferrets in this jurisdiction. This is not necessarily the fault of the
shelter operator, but it does suggest a major problem.

Are some of the sheltered ferrets fertile, pregnant, or having kits
more or less regularly?

One may assume that in a population of this magnitude, the death rate
is above average. At 3 percent, about 5 annually.

I am doubtful that I, alone, could maintain a 150 ferret colony and do
the best possible for all the ferrets. I could not maintain a colony
this size and have any time whatsoever to devote to potential adopters
who come to visit.

Can you shed some light on what the major problem may be?

I am aware of that flooding has wrecked havoc on the shelter, but my
questions/concern preempt that tragedy.

Thank you,
Edward Lipinski,
Ferret Endowment for Research, Rehab, Education & Training Society
North West Foundation.