From:
Michelle Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:31:05 +1300
I have been following with interest the topic of Live Prey Versus
Kibble Versus Raw.

Here in New Zealand we have a clear view of what ferrets eat naturally
at least are far as what is available.

Male ferrets eat rats, mice, invertebrates, birds, and other odds and
ends like mushrooms and fruit in the absence of other meat/carrion.

Females eat mice, invertebrate, birds and other odds and ends like
mushrooms and fruit in the absence of other meat/carrion.

They mostly do not hunt for prey but rather seek the carcases of dead
animals such as possums, birds, rats etc. They do hunt tho as the fact
that were ferrets live there is generally a smaller population of
rodents.

One down side to carrion eating in the case of possums, dead cats etc
is that of TB, ferrets eat the dead possum get TB and then die.

Research at Molesworth Sheep/Cattle Station in the South Island shows
that they are end hosts, but not vectors e.g. transmit TB.

We have been discussing this topic for a while here too.

Fancy ferret foods are hard to obtain here as nearly all is imported
and ferrets are no longer welcome here as pets (except by those who
have them)

So importing ferret foods is a no go.

Good quality cat foods are the next best, and a variety of these are
fed here. Chicken Mince, Beef Mince, Liver, and a few other items such
as Duck Soups etc are also fed.

It has been noted here that a few years ago ferrets regularly lived
here past 8-10years, were often feed all sorts of crap food and were
more robust and healthy, lived longer than they do now, tho most are
now fed a "Quality Diet" What has changed in this time. Ferrets were
being breed for colours and temperament, diets have changed, ferrets
live indoors far more so are under less conventional lighting, etc etc.

Having worked for a time on a ferret farm that exported kits
internationally, the diet consisted of Beef Trim (Fatty) 60% and Fish
frames e.g. Head, Spine Guts etc 40% all thrown through a large mincer,
Vitamin E was added when needed as were antibiotics, treatments for
ringworm if it turned up, and other supplements as needed. This was fed
out once everyday and we had some of the healthiest animals I have ever
seen. Housed in sheds protected from the rain but open sided, straw for
their nest boxes, constant water supply, areas out of the sun when hot
and nest boxes to snuggle in when cold.

Temperature ranges here are - 6¡ Celsius to a peak of 33¡ Celsius
(don't know fahrenheight at all sorry) [21 to 91 Fahrenheit. BIG]

An interesting note was that on a day of minus temperatures a Jill with
kit's nest box was over 30¡ Celsius, she like others regulated the temp
of the nest using only straw, the nest box of thick plastic and her
body temperature. In high temperatures we often found the animals
buried deep in the straw, in fact this was more often than not, I
figured they controlled their temperature better with their own bodies.

My remaining animals are inside in cages of varying sizes, have time
to run, eat a mix of meat and kibble, calcium supplement, petmilk,
flaxseed oil as a treat on a regular basis. Some eat the odd raisin,
all those who lived over 7-8 years ate raisins, drank little sips of
tea, milo etc from the bottom of the cup. And other treats not suited
to ferrets.

I have a 6 year old male desexed who has Adrenal and Lymphoma who till
recently was not doing well losing weight etc. it was suggested to try
a little heavy cream each day. He has been getting better, has put on
some weight, eats more biscuit/kibble has a better arch to his back (
he was straigtlining), plays longer and is a little more tolerant of
other ferrets around him, he also likes to be held for a short cuddle
which he wasn't willing to do till just recently. And even likes to
dose in my arms occasionally. Heavy cream has little Lactose in it as
that is found in more processed more liquid milk. He is very sensitive
to change in diet, yet has done well with this, with no noticeable
change in poops etc. (He is being treated for the Adrenal etc.)

Of a note feral ferrets don't live all that long here, we don't really
have a natural predator that targets ferrets except feral cats and the
odd dog. And perhaps our dear friends the humans, traps poisons etc.
Kit mortality is high. But some very healthy feral ferrets have turned
up on occasion.

Ferrets are a fading pet here, but giving the best you can with what
you have is the key, hugs with a ferret are very special when each
one who passes is the end of an era for Many here.

Remember to spend a precious moment with each of your furries every
day, for tomorrow they may not be here.

Michelle and the NZ Clan