From:
Mary McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:54:36 +0000
The vast majority of people I know in the UK who have ferrets keep them
outdoors, whether in a hutch, shed or yes even a garage. Amazingly
enough it is not that difficult to clean out a hutch, mine is done
daily in winter and twice a day in summer, litter trays are scooped and
floors are wiped down. Once a fortnight in summer and every few months
in winter I use a steam cleaner to get in all the nooks and crannies.

My ferrets play in the house, the coolest room as they actually prefer
the cold, for at least two hours a day and often more, they have a run
with loads of toys and probably more space in their giant hutch than
any of the indoor ferrets in tower cages.

A few people I know cannot take their fuzzies indoors because of issues
with landlords and they sit in the shed with them for playtime, yes
even when it is below freezing outside.

A ferrets metabolism is pretty much the same as the polecat, they are
not renowned for living in centrally heated condos. The grow a lovely
thick coat in the winter which is shed in the summer time.

In fact mine get quite fed up with me sometimes because they want to go
back out to their cage and I am slow to respond to the foot scratching
and runs to the door.

In some ways I would quite like my ferrets indoors as I would love to
see their little sleepy faces without having to go out in the cold to
peek but personally I feel they are happier and healthier outside. Many
people do not have the facilities to keep them outside and that is fine
so long as you can give them a suitably cool room and nice dark sleep
quarters so they can live as naturally as possible.

Now that has turned into an essay, my apologies for rambling.

Mary
http://bristolferretclub.btik.com