From:
"D. bones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:00:11 -0800
Why

I've been thinking of the "why do we do this"

Why do we have out hearts broken when a kid comes to us? Why do we do
feedings every two hours? Why do we make sure soupies are warm but not
to warm, or subQ fluids are warmed to "just right". Naked with bones
showing. Scared and hiding in a carrier or in a sleepy sack. Or scared
of even a water bottle much less hands offering food or comfort. Why do
we do this, put up with former owner's stories about needing to give up
a fur kid. Or they got tired of "it". For what ever reason the ferret
is "surrendered".

Why do we whisper to the sleeping sick ones, telling them "If you have
to go, its Ok. We understand" Yet we agonize over the decision of
letting one go. And wonder did we do everything we could when we could
have. Why do we give up figuring a house budget, and do some of us
remember two week vacations probibly not. Why do we hope their food
is "the best we can get"  Or will they like the cool whip, sorry Mr.
Church lol

I don't know about many of you folks. But one of my reasons is asleep
on my lap. From the horrors of Ohio, now a big rolly polley lap boy,
who walks with me to get the morning paper. His son playing in the
tubes with a former girl that was a loner. Maybe it's the blind girl
curled up in my fishing tackle bag, with her collection of bandanas.
Its watching the shelter moms give up nights of sleep to comfort a
frail little soul but will be available to answer out questions, or
help us grieve over a loss. It's the grooming from a neglected guy
whom is now soft and fluffy. And loving his scritches. And I still
believe ferrets can purr.

It's the four snow-white girls that are tubing and jumping off my bed.
Kids that were frightened of every sound. It's the kids that are
sitting up like funny prairie dogs wanting their soupie breakfasts.

It's listening to my helper and friend singing to those in the ferret
room. She's rocking one in the magic rocker, singing a little song to
a naked scared little soul, and offering words of kindness. Or hearing
her laugh when one whirls and twirls by.

I guess there are lots of reasons, whats a few minutes of sleep, or a
roll of paper towels killed in the hall for our safety. Lol isn't it
worth it to see a drawer full of "noses and toeses".

I think there's a lot of reasons. Besides we put up Christmas trees for
the fur kids to bat down the ornaments that really belonged under the
couch, don't we?

David and the WinchesternWeezols