Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:56:07 -0800
From: [log in to unmask] Subject: food AND water on the floor

Ahh yes...the kibble all over the place ferret

But he digs out the food bowls also, though he can hear. He is such
an affectionate guy. And a handsome sweet heart.

I don't believe I ever had one that did this before. I change all the
water bowls at least twice a day, and have them in every room.

Edward Lipinski's response to msg above as well as to other msgs
wherein the poster attributed ferret digging to the possibility of
deafness.

Obviously this ferret, Beavus, is not deaf. So says his owner, yet he,
Beavus, digs, not only in his dry food bowl But in his water bowls too.

Please consider my words here and take action, since what I have to
tell you is based on experience and not just theory.

1.) First, examine your ferret's front claws and compare them to the
rear ones. What difference do you note and why are they different?
Their claws are different because the ferret is an innate digger.
Digging for a ferret is not just *second nature* but more like *first
nature.

*2.) Second, given the right circumstances a normal, healthy ferret
will dig, and may dig deep enough in the soil to practically bury
himself. The ferret is in the same family as the badger, his bigger
cousin, who is a champion digger.

3.) Farmers will tell you that watching a badger at work really digging
is like watching the blowout of an oil well, only smaller, with dirt
flying high in the sky.

4.) I would urge all ferret owners to position their ferrets in an
out-of-door situation every day for several hours, or all day, and when
tethered, allow the ferret to dig in dry, loose soil. That he will and
he will enjoy himself immensely.

5.) You will realize three benefits from allowing your ferret to be a
real ferret. One, he will wear down his front claws such that they will
not need trimming. Two, he will smell really fresh and cleaner than
ever before, because the clean soil will absorb his skin oils and
dissipate most any objectionable odor. Three, ear mites will likely be
suffocated by the ultra fine soil particles, sizes on the order of 0.1
to 10 microns, he will get in his ears. These micro particles are small
enough to plug up the breathing tubes of mites (and fleas) and will
suffocate them.

6.) And finally you will learn from your ferret the signature he
leaves behind as a result of his prolonged digging. How he uses his
head as a bulldozer and the most peculiar tailings he deposits in a
characteristic way. His tailings are unique to the ferret and are not
produced by any other animal I know of. Ferret diggings and their
tailings are evidenced by naturalists who have seen them as
unmistakable proof that ferrets are about.

7.) Some of the better and more concerned ferret owners will provide
their ferret a really big box filled with sand or styrofoam peanuts as
a substitute for outdoor digging. Although better than nothing, such
indoor boxes are simply not as good as the natural soil outdoors.

8.) Tethering ferrets outside does require you know what you are doing,
from the standpoint of security of the ferret. That can be discussed
at a later time. However, there is another tremendous advantage in the
bonding technique that is available to the ferret staker, providing a
proper leather harness is used in a prescribed manner. More on that
later, if you are interested.

9.) I will discuss any of the above points with you, either by email,
The FML, or by telephone during normal business hours, Pacific time.
Our number here at Ferrets North West Foundation is 206.232.1228. All
phone conversations are recorded for the purpose of quality
improvement.

10.) Perhaps simpler for ferret owners who have the problem of their
critters digging out their food/water, rather than outdoor staking, is
to obtain bowls that are very heavy and have a domed cover halfway over
the top. This type bowl is too heavy for the ferret to move or upset.
The half domed cover interferes with the digging posture of the ferret
and dissuades him from digging or playing in the water.

Clearing the Fog about Ferrets,

Edward Lipinski

Declawing?  No.
Water bowls in every room?  No.