Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 23:53:02 -0800
Given the lack of final say scientific evidence on the subject, it
is highly inappropriate to post on a list such as this - where new
ferret owners and inexperienced ferret owners come to look for help in
providing care for their pets- that the only optimal diet is live/raw
food.

Everyone has their opinions on feeding for whatever reason and they
should be stated as such,- and all do agree that high quality ferret
kibble is better than cat food or low quality kibble- but to flat out
state that the only way to give a ferret "optimal" health is by feeding
live prey is not substantiated by scientific fact and even borders on
the dangerous if it makes owners feel guilty enough to rush to try it
without understanding the entire concept and it's inherent drawbacks
(not properly fed or raised prey, harm to the predator during the
hunt, wild caught prey which may harbor disease, and the very real
possibility of changing the pet's personality for the worse.)

My concern for newer and insecure ferret owners on the list being
pressured into using this way of feeding with no solid scientific
evidence of superiority by the continued "my way or the highway"
attitude being put forth in favor of live prey overcame any concern
that such posters will again have way more free time than I do to
spend hours picking apart every last thing I write, line by line.

This list is to assist others in the wonderful pursuit that is ferret
care, to grow and learn along the way, share our joys and sorrows -
not to claim to be the last word in ferret care knowledge- to do so is
to mislead and misinform those that seek our guidance, the education
gleaned from experience tempered with the real world.

Beth