Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:05:16 -0600
Ferrets are living breathing 'thinking' little beings. We need to
acknowledge that not all ferrets act or react the same way, they are
not robots programmed exactly alike. Simply adding words like SOME or
MY to posts takes away the generalization that ALL ferrets act the same
way on any topic and may tone down a little of the aggravation. Please
Keep in mind that there are children reading this list too and some of
the graphic posts may be upsetting to them (and other adults as well).

I will relate my own personal experiences on ferrets and mice, which is
quite different than a previous post.

Years ago I lived surrounded by fields. Field mice abound in fields
and they move in to homes for comfort. Ours was no different. I had
34 free-roam ferrets and 3 dogs. I not so happily had field mice. The
mice would drink from the water bottles, bowls, and eat from the food
dishes. I think they thought they were pets and apparently the ferrets
also thought the mice were pets because they allowed this to continue
without discord. One time I found 3 live pinkies snuggled in the same
bed as 2 ferrets, neither seemed disturbed that the other species was
sharing the bed. I cut down a small cardboard boxes, added some
stuffing and placed the babies in the box in the cabinet for momma
mouse to retrieve. She did. Another time Marley found a juvenile mouse
and picked it up, the mouse squeaked and Marley dropped it, the mouse
stayed very still and Marley picked it up again, the mouse squeaked
and was dropped. I watched for a minute or two then rescued the mouse
keeping it contained to make sure it was o.k. then released it outside.
This mouse was unharmed by the experience, well except perhaps for a
raise in blood pressure.

Out of 34 free roam ferrets, not one of them killed any of the field
mice, nor did they chase them to my knowledge. I never saw or found
remains anywhere that would indicate they harmed any mouse. The ferrets
tolerated them, only blinking a sleepy eye when a mouse clambored up
the cage wire to drink from the water bottle holding on upside down,
only mere inches away from the ferrets.

Sunny, one of my dogs did catch mice and was quite proud of his
accomplishment. I was thankful the kill was swift though I would have
preferred he just take the mouse outside like I did when I caught them
in the humane traps. When we moved we found that we also had a resident
rat who I had not known was living with us. I'm sure the ferrets did
but again, this group of ferrets didn't mind having alternate species
roommates. For a time I was rehabbing a pigeon and the ferrets didn't
try to harm it either. The dogs were another story as the pigeon
regularly taunted them, flying down the hall just above their heads
then back again. The dogs knew not to harm the pigeon when I was there
and when he was sitting on me, but I have no doubt that had I left the
pigeon unattended with the dogs it would have been killed. I'd found
dead birds in the yard and witnessed Shylow, one of my dogs, jump and
catch/kill a bluejay in mid-air.
Those 34 ferrets are long gone but they were the gentlest and most
loving ferrets.

A friend made a good point - how you raise them and their environment
makes a difference. I think genetics plays a part too. The same as
those factors make difference in how we act - two having the exact
same experience may react differently. Having a hard life might make
one stronger while another might become weaker, or aggressive. This is
true with ferrets from my experiences.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org
Kansas