Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:22:37 -0400
In addition to all of the normal love, soup and support we give to
ferrets that are experiencing shelter shock, we have found that a walk
outdoors every day can really work wonders. It seems to reactivate
their natural inquisitiveness and curiosity. We let them tunnel through
the tall grass, dig in fresh dirt and in the fall, rustle through the
crackly leaves. They frequently become very alert and excited and some
even war dance at the end of the leash. The outdoors walk offers a nice
distraction from whatever it is that's bringing them down and seems to
give them something to live for. We've had several that have done
noticeable turnarounds after a few walks, getting their appetite back
and becoming willing to engage with the people and the other ferrets at
the shelter.

Jack
FerretsFirst
http://www.ferretsfirst.org