From:
Klemens Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 06:46:03 -0700
My two kids came to me eight months ago and they both needed the round
of vaccines. The shelter mom warned me about distemper reactions being
reported at that time. When we went in for the first vet exam the vet
said they had a couple of ferrets react to the distemper, so they
changed their protocol to all ferrets being pretreated with Benadryl
(they prefer giving an injection as they had more control over the
amount and timing), waiting 15 minutes, then giving the distemper and
keeping the ferret for one hour. It was within that time frame that
they were seeing the reactions; as for us we had no problems. They are
doing the same with rabies. The vet did report the reactions to the
company, last I asked she had no answer to what the problem was. I'll
have to ask her again. I'm also planning on asking her to draw blood
for the titer study when they are due in October.

I didn't know about the rabies being good for three years now, that's
good to know.

Tracy