Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 21:55:13 -0400
From:
Diane Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
For those of you who tried to reach me last night to help Renee, I was
on my way to her. She called me at 9 hysterical but somewhat clear
headed. The first words out of her mouth; I wrecked my car and killed
my Gandalf. I found the other ferrets and they are okay. I need someone
to get them and have them vetted cause they are taking me to the
hospital. I left immediately from where I was and arrived at the
hospital around 12:30 AM.

She had no idea of where she was other than I-95 between Fayetteville
and somewhere. She handed the phone to a kind man who stopped to help
who could only tell me they were taking her to Lumberton hospital off
exit 20. It was only after she found her ferrets did she call. Against
the orders from emergency personnel on the scene to not to go back
in her car, Renee did. The car was smoking and the horrible and
heartbreaking situation as it was, Renee was getting her ferrets!!!

Renee, though beat up pretty bad is surprisingly okay. With the impact
of the accident, none of them should be alive, human or ferret.
Emotionally, Renee is harboring so much guilt and hurt from losing
Gandalf. I truly do not believe she has realized the full trauma of
this and when her mind has a chance to rest, her on and off tears will
become a flood. She needs to grieve and rest. She did nothing wrong in
trying to prevent the accident and if she had hit the car in the rear
instead of her evasive maneuver, none of them would be here today. It
would have exploded on impact. Her reaction to the situation was
correct but accidents happen sometimes. Yes a life was lost of a very
special ferret that couldn't have been loved more. The silver lining
is it was the only life lost.

Renee is getting little sleep for answering phone calls and this is not
good. I ask of everyone to let her rest and wait for her to call you.
When I left this afternoon to return home, she was safe in the care of
her mom and sister. Renee and I went by this morning to check on the
babies at the vet and though still a bit bewildered, seem okay. We
left the vets and went to the car. Immediately upon seeing it, knew
there was an angel embracing Renee. When you see the pictures you will
understand.

I have never met anyone who is more optimistic or with more
perseverance. As I stood there in tears and heartbreak for Renee and
the ferrets, she stood strong. I watched as she started the daunting
task of going through the chaos, salvaging what she could. We emptied
the car, sorting as we went. When all her salvageable possessions lay
in rows on the ground in piles, I watched Renee look around at it and
it I could feel her heart breaking. She looked at me and said it could
have been so much worse. This stuff can be replaced but not my Gandalf
or the lives that were spared. Still standing with pride, we started
bagging the items. Renee did good till right at the end when she found
Gandalf's favorite toy; a yellow, singing Easter duck. As the song
played, grief overwhelmed her and the guilt flooded out reasoning and
she burst into tears. It tears at my heart with just the thought and
can not even imaging the roller coaster of emotions she is going
through. I pray she finds peace and acceptance with all that has
happened. No matter what Higher Power you believe in or pray to, Renee
needs your prayers and thoughts for healing. She is overwhelmed at the
abundance of people who care. Believe me, her phone hasn't stopped
ringing. She had no idea of how many of you really cared until this
happened. Bless all of you. You have helped in so many ways.