Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:37:42 -0700
Liz,

Regarding soft toe nails and discoloration. Is it just the actual
nail that is discolored or is the pink quick turning brown too? I'd
definitely pick your vet's brain regarding circulatory issues or
possible kidney troubles. Rule out of course any bedding, litter or
other external environmental issues. Cedar bedding should not be used
due to the aromatic chemicals, but it will also impart a reddish or
brownish color when wet.

The ferrets I adopted all had hind nails with gunk (feces, fur and
what ever) stuck to their claws and toes. Their outside hind toes had
even folded under. But now being free roam and able to travel on
surfaces they can dig their claws into, their toes have strengthened,
don't fold under and are clean and shiny.

Onychimycosis (a fungal infection) is alwyas a possibility. Any animal
with nails (humans too) is susceptible to this infection.

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Kim