Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:05:42 -0400
I was alerted to this sickening video on YouTube. The video depicts
some young people who regularly let their ferret get drunk. Many people
have written these people trying to appeal to what they are doing as
being ethically and morally wrong. They won't even listen to the common
sense of how alcohol can be dangerous or harmful to their pet. Nothing
is reaching them. So possibly three things might help:
1) an overwhelming response from ferret people reaching out to them in
private messages and especially public posts about this.
2) anyone with any medical knowledge or ferret anatomy and physiology
knowledge explain how harmful this is (no one has done that yet, and
they might listen to facts)
3) anyone in the area possibly even calling in for animal cruelty

I don't think "flagging" this video will help and will do more harm
than good. You see it's when things like this happen on YouTube that
criminals get caught and most importantly it opens the lines of
communication to teach the posters and the millions of viewers of why
it is wrong to do what they do. I'd rather this go on in public to
where we have a chance to stop it, than in private to where some animal
suffers in hell alone. If these owners are doing this to the animal,
God knows what it's care is like. I noticed how unhealthy the animal
looks in the video. *Just as important as reaching these people about
how wrong this is, or reporting them for animal cruelty, is the
opportunity to educate them so they stop and take better care of this
and FUTURE animals in their care.

This is the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fef6-t_Ln7U

I do have an email address if anyone needs that.

Wolfy

p.s. **I myself got angry and posted on this video. In retrospect,
I think that was the wrong thing to do. I mean I know its' hard to
understand, but an unbelievable number of people really and truly don't
understand that something like this is wrong. They really do think its
fun and that the animal is having fun. They aren't "evil" in most cases
in other words. I don't want cussing posts and blindly angry posts like
mine to trigger them into shutting down the ability for viewers to
comment on the video in their preferences or to shut down their
account/email so that they disappear. Possibly a post and note saying
something to the extent of , "I know its funny to you, and I know it
was a good time, but ... I can't implore enough to you how dangerous
this is." Then give them facts. Tell them if you are an expert and who
you are. All they seem to have received are blind personal posts from
the average public calling them F'ers, etc. Why should they listen to
just anybody, let alone a bunch of preachy people with sticks up their
butts. So maybe a diff approach is needed here.