From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 18:23:35 -0400
I too have experience with the interaction between ferrets and
chickens. Chickens have a natural fear of potential predators and
definitely recognize ferrets as a threat. I "chickensit" the next-door
neighbor's chickens when they are out of town (yes, I DO live in
downtown Atlanta). My neighborhood, Cabbagetown, is a milltown, which
was built and formed by Appalachian Mountain families. They brought
their backyard livestock with them and the city has "grandfathered"
them in even though the area is becoming gentrified (unfortunately).
Anyway, I took the Dudes over with me to feed the chickens one day
and was REALLY surprised when Big Red (a fugitive from professional
cockfighting) ran between the ferrets and the hens. He puffed up all
his beautiful neck feathers, raised his comb and let out a high pitched
CAW. Then took to the air with feet sporting 2 INCH spurs, aimed
directly at Loki and Ferris! We ALL scattered! I gathered up the
boys and we headed back toward our yard. Big Red has never shown any
aggression towards people or even the dogs that come to the pen to
sniff. It was VERY impressive. I have also seen wild birds become loud
and agitated when the ferrets are outside. Birds really do know that
ferrets are an able and probable predator.

Lesley