From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 16:41:21 -0400
Notice this:
A cryosurgery approach for adrenal disease REDUCES survivability
comnpared to other approaches in a study of 130 ferrets who had adrenal
surgeries.

Otherwise, notice how very well the surgical approaches worked for
ferrets:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL4890

    -----

J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008 May 1;232(9):1338-43.
Long-term outcome of domestic ferrets treated surgically for
hyperadrenocorticism: 130 cases (1995-2004).
Swiderski JK, Seim HB 3rd, MacPhail CM,Campbell TW, Johnston MS,
Monnet E.
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine
and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins,
CO 80523, USA.

OBJECTIVE:
To determine the long-term survival rate and factors that affect
survival time of domestic ferrets treated surgically for
hyperadrenocorticism.
STUDY DESIGN:
Retrospective case series.
ANIMALS:
130 ferrets with hyperadrenocorticism that were treated surgically.
PROCEDURES:
Medical records of ferrets surgically treated for hyperadrenocorticism
were reviewed. Data recorded included signalment, duration of clinical
signs prior to hospital admission, CBC values, serum biochemical
analysis results, anesthetic time, surgical time, concurrent diseases,
adrenal gland affected (right, left, or both [bilateral]),
histopathologic diagnosis, surgical procedure, caudal vena caval
involvement (yes or no), postoperative melena (yes or no), days in
hospital after surgery, and whether clinical signs of
hyperadrenocorticism developed after surgery.
RESULTS: 130 ferrets were entered in the study (11 of 130 ferrets were
admitted and underwent surgery twice). The 1- and 2-year survival rates
were 98% and 88%, respectively. A 50% survival rate was never reached.
Combined partial adrenal gland resection with cryosurgery had a
significantly negative effect on survival time. No other risk factors
were identified. Survival time was not significantly affected by either
histopathologic diagnosis or specific affected adrenal gland (right,
left, or bilateral).
CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Ferrets with adrenal gland masses
that were treated surgically had a good prognosis. Survival time of
ferrets with hyperadrenocorticism undergoing surgery was not affected
by the histologic characteristic of the tumor, the adrenal glands
affected (right, left, or bilateral), or complete versus partial
adrenal gland resection. Debulking was a sufficient surgical technique
to allow a favorable long-term outcome when complete excision was not
possible.

PMID: 18447778 [PubMed - in process]

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.232.9.1338

   -----

Sorry, have to get off now for my eye. It takes me about 2 weeks after
laser surgery to get back up to speed. and in these frist days even
with amber over-lenses I don't deal w light well even w the monitor
turned down I can only be on a very few times and things are still
blurry for me so mail is getting missed and for the most part trashed
for a while and I'd much rather that any mail for the next month not
include extraneous stuff, please, but know that if it is sent it will
probably never be seen...

Sukie (not a vet) Reminding all to have their eye pressures and visual
fields tested regularly

Recommended ferret health links: